NSA engaged in illegal mass-spying of Norway's phone system

“Because they hate the US for their freedom.” :smiley:

Tragic. It’s the one phrase that expertly shows how deep the hole is the US dug for themselves and why there’s no hope they can stop their march towards a authoritarian regime themselves. Poisoned by their own propaganda …

1 Like

Unless it should be read, “Because they (Norway) hate the US for their (Norwegian) freedom”? Maybe it is an articulation of Northern European Angst. Remember, freedom is slavery.

They are now denying collaborating with the NSA. So this looks like a domestic spying case—not that it becomes any less serious because of this. And Greenwald has promised some new leaks on Norway; maybe that’ll shed more light on the issue.

As mentioned repeatedly:
The official story is “this is a misunderstanding; what happened is that we spied in Afghanistan (and never on calls to/from Norway) while we had troops there, and shared that data with the US”.

“Because they hate the US for their freedom.”

My reading of retepslluerb’s statement leads me to think it was made in snarkitude rather than throwing out that comical phrase as an argument for anything.

Norway did have a right-wing extremist called Brevik who went nuts, bombed the capital and murdered about 70 people on a holiday island a few years ago. He acted alone but posted a manifesto online and presumably there are at least a few people in Norway who share(d) his ideology prior to the attack. After his massacre there were questions about why the police in Norway were unable to prevent or respond effectively to his attack. Pure speculation, but maybe the NSA was invited to get involved with a dragnet operation to find if he had collaborators and to try and locate them. I guess there are a few legitimate intelligence targets in Norway, from the perspective of the Norwegian authorities.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.