NSFW: sex and ASMR

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Do you mind? Iā€™m trying to enjoy this Towel Folding Tutorial!

8 Likes

I wonder is this is related to those weird murmuring youtube videos I recall reading about. Clearly this is not a fetish I enjoy.

Yes, thatā€™s the same thing (assuming weā€™re talking about the same videos). Itā€™s not my thing either, but hearing those kinds of sounds makes me want to punch and kick people, so maybe thereā€™s something to it. (one personā€™s pet peeve is another personsā€™ fettish)

2 Likes

Due to my PC sound system, I find most Hollywood films I watch unbearable, because they all seem to have this weird enhanced bass thing going on, as if that adds gravitas? But it doesnā€™t, it just adds subsonic woofer anxiety. So watching a film like A Late Quartet that is largely silent but occasionally involves strings, is quite orgasmic for me. So in that sense I like the whole thing of this article and its references because it is a subject close to my heart. Sound vibration is a big thing for me personally. The emotional responses I seem to have to sound are bordering on ridiculous. Iā€™m very sensitive. Awww.

3 Likes

It isnā€™t necessarily a fetish. Certainly some folks can find it arousing, but for others itā€™s just a sort of enjoyable experience to encounter these sensations.

I do get where someone might be coming from in not enjoying such sounds and stimulus, though. I mean, I sure as hell donā€™t enjoy fishing, but for some people itā€™s pure bliss. (And I suppose for some, itā€™s even a fetish?) Different strokes and all that.

2 Likes

So THATā€™S whatā€™s up with all the damn bananas. Oh Joy Sex Toy indeed!

this might explain salad fingers

1 Like

My first girlfriend wore watermelon lip gloss during our first kiss at age 12.

More than 30 years later watermelon Jolly Ranchers seem to shiver on the brink of tearing a rift in space/time, foiled only by the lack of Steve Miller Band in the backgound.

Does that count?

8 Likes

Youā€™re more right than you may realize. Hollywood soundtracks include a LFE channel (The ā€œpoint oneā€ in ā€œ7.1 surround soundā€) thatā€™s designed to supplement the main channels with extra bass-- 6 more decibels of extra bass, to be precise. This is partially to counteract the ā€œFletcherā€“Munson curveā€-- a human ear cannot actually hear a 20 Hz tone unless it is quite loud.

However, some small speakers that canā€™t reproduce bass frequencies add a bit of discoloration to the lower frequency sounds, while speakers that are technically capable of reproducing these sounds may actually sound clearer and less ā€œbassyā€ than a speaker with a sub-three inch driver.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this the sort of thing that seems to be quite widely reported when listening to really good music, or is that something different?

Frisson?

1 Like

You had me at ā€œYouā€™re more right than you may realize.ā€

Itā€™s not only murmuring. Hereā€™s an example of a different kind of ASMR trigger, pencils.

See also: Northern White Rhino Mid-Coital ASMR

1 Like

This phenomena is something I experience, though to a lesser intensity than others. However, strong aural triggers are choral drones, consistent rain, gas lines, dryers, furnaces, streams, and recorded voices chained through a reverse reverb, with a long envelope.
For what itā€™s worth, all those things ā€˜do itā€™ for at least one primate ; )

I recommend not attempting ASMR with the strangely menacing Pencil Face:

So Iā€™m not the only one who enters a state of rage when some woman on youtube is mumbling softly at me while playing with a mylar chip bag. Speak up woman and stop playing with that infernal bag! So far my only reaction from ASMR youtube videos is higher blood pressure.

However I do get that electric tingle up the spine kind of feeling when someone uses something on my head or neck. Like when the barber uses the trimmers on your neck line.

Me too. Maybe itā€™s a form of ASMR or a related reaction, but when the barber turns on the clippers an inch from the back of my neck, or touches the edge of a straight razor there, I feel a shock and involuntary flinch, not quite the same as being ticklish. For me itā€™s an unpleasant feeling.

I expect that if I am ever guillotined, thatā€™s the sensation I will feel very briefly.

This reminds me of what we used to do in 5th grade:

Get someone to stand facing away from you.

Slowly poke them on different sides of their spine at the same time until you reach the bottom of their spine.

Run a forefinger up & down their spine.

Suddenly grab the back of their neck.

They should feel shivers.