NY Times: "Why Apple Wants to Bust Your iPhone"

" I’d prefer a thick phone that runs all day without needing a recharge, than a thin, lightweight phone that you have to put in a thick case to protect anyway."

Then why are your fucking around with iPhones? What you want is a Motorola Maxx.

Very much in the spirit of today’s xkcd post. Something else absurd about these people is how they mindlessly download every damned update for everything, then gripe about the consequences.
“Oh, it’s the newest and the latest for the greatest! (zombie voice) Must have. Must have…”
“Is everything working fine?” - Yes - “Okey dokey then, let’s replace the software!” WhyTF?

Using the same iOS for almost two years now with a stable jailbreak, why would I want to screw that up? So I’m two “major” updates behind the curve. I have made the mistake of updating certain apps without archiving a backup, some now don’t do what I need them to do, such as dropping AirPlay support. Thanks Obama.

Same with the iMac, I never download the first of anything, unless I’m trying it out for the heck of it and with a fair amount of redundancy.

In essence, what the lazy journalist is saying with the headline/article tandem, is “I can’t be bothered with the homework, but I will bitch and whine about it, in front of the whole world. Laser beams and rocket ships, I guess I’ll never understand any of those things”.

Poor iPhone 3GS battery life, plus blocking issues in iOS which don’t show up when testing in Cupertino, but which make themselves painfully felt in bandwidth- and latency- challenged Asian countries are what drove me to switch from the iPhone to a rooted Android phone a couple of years ago.

Now I’m sporting a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with a 9300mAh ZeroLemon battery, which comes with a back cover replacement - I use my phone heavily as a computer, but I typically recharge it only every 3 days or so.

What I find interesting is that I’ve got some apps that ran perfectly on my ipod touch 4 until ios7 came out and then suddenly experienced massive stuttering/lag issues and the like. What makes this interesting is that I haven’t upgraded the OS as ios7 doesn’t run on it, and it won’t install.

The fact that there seems to be no practical reason why ios7 won’t install other than a misguided attempt to get me to upgrade my hardware. (Not happening as I have an android phone for anything actually important.)

People are pretty ignorant.

I think that the main issue, and what most people experience, is with using older devices and purchasing newer apps. I own a Gen 1 iPad and pretty much every app (not just ones created by Apple) are made with the idea that everyone has at least one of the last two generations, and thus utilize more memory (which might not ever be needed) which is found in those devices. So for my iPad - which otherwise works perfectly - it only has 256 MB while the 2nd gen has 512 MB and all the others over 1024 MB, and just from upgrading the same apps i’ve been using for years they have gotten slower and slower (I pretty much use it for only a specific 7 apps and internet browsing). Yes I understand hardware advances but apps (such as pinterest, comixology etc…) should still run for more than 10 minutes without crashing.

Based on the original author’s situation, I can only conclude that Apple somehow gained control of my old HTC Incredible, as well. Damn them.

1 Like

I love Boing Boing, but its anti-Apple sentiment is apparent. The New York Time’s article has no substance at all and clearly only serviced the purpose of generating clicks. Boing Boing is rewarding the Times for its shoddy journalism.

Why didn’t Boing Boing post the very interesting story about how companies like Samsung have been cheating on benchmarks by inserting code into their phones to know when the phone is being benchmarked and subsequently overclocking the phone in a way that only runs that way for the benchmark but not in every day use? That was a real story because Samsung and other Android phone producers clearly were cheating to the detriment of consumers who actually read reviews of devices that cite benchmarks.

Except, of course, they did.

My 4S’s battery life was getting terrible, like full charge to zero in about seven hours. This wasn’t really an issue as I don’t travel much but it was still annoying. Anyway, after upgrading to ios7, I was worried about the increased drain. No change for about three weeks, and then, as if magically, the life increased dramatically. I’m talking three times as long between charges. My usage hasn’t decreased at all–I’m actually streaming music more because the juice is there. What could cause such a thing?

There’s more to the story. Your phone sends out a signal to check for network connection. It does this fairly often if it has trouble. If you live in an old house with bad wiring or cement walls signals can get lost. I’ve gone through tons of high end phones and not a one lasts more than a day before losing it’s OS. I’ve finally given up and looked for other features. I keep a cord in my purse just in case.

1 Like

My bad, and apology.

1 Like

My experience on battery times comes from travel with co-workers. We’re in the same location and have the same recharge opportunities. But I must admit, I cheat slightly. This might work for you too.

I root all our family phones and add a cpu governor. This seems to give me about 50% more life when I’m running it. My wife’s Samsung Ace manages to go 5 days at a stretch with heavy texting and calls, but she doesn’t use wi-fi or data (despite us having unlimited data). She actually has her phone go dead because it runs long enough you lose the habit of checking the charge level.

You could probably find a ultra-thick, ultra-heavy case that would allow you to throw your Macbook down a flight of stairs.

http://g-form.com/products/extreme-sleeve-for-laptops/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

In this case I recommend switching to airplane mode – when you know you will be spending a lot of time in an area with cell coverage so poor that your phone will burn through a ton of battery constantly re-negotiating a valid cellular connection.