NYT: Snowden docs reveal NSA has radio pathway into computers, to spy even when device is offline

How about sending the data out through the mains power connection?

1 Like

That’d require a pretty fancy PSU in the machine, wouldn’t it?

1 Like

True but think about it. The PSU connects to every component in the machine, some of which may leak data through their own power connections. And if it has a cable to sit in series with a SATA connection, it may not be noticed for a while. So installing your own power supply may be a good way to compromise a system.

1 Like

If the transmitter is plugged into a USB2 port and it’s bus-powered, it’ll still only have a maximum of 2.5W to play with (potentially much less if there’s a legitimate device drawing power at the other end of the cable). I still have a hard time believing you’d be able to get decent range with that little power.

Dang I was hoping you were going to tell us about how Snowden has proof that the NSA is run by the Tall White Aliens.

It wouldn’t be hard for the NSA to have workers on the assembly lines of the computers.

1 Like

What if NSA is messing about with weather control satellites and installing covert ‘random’ environmental noise generators everywhere?

Next up, NSA records and analyzes all environmental noise worldwide to develop a comprehensive database of all possible random numbers!

1 Like

That was my first thought but its harder than it seems. The objective is to perform verifiable destruction at the end of the test. If you are going to use thermite you need to go outside, can’t do that in a hotel conference room. So the whole process has a gap in it.

The thermite is actually gratuitous. But once it was raised some people wouldn’t give it up.

That is called power analysis and it is a big problem. Its not just the use as an intentional covert channel, you can leak data unintentionally as well. A guy called Paul Kocher and some co-workers at his company Cryptography Research have been very active in that field.

The power use can leak in other ways too. Adi Shamir has been talking about sound for quite a while and actually demonstrated it with some students this year. The wound components tend to buzz at a frequency/intensity determined by the power use.

Not to mention the Chinese hardware based back doors that are already being installed in the Chinese assembly plants. It’s not inconceivable that someone would be bugged by multiple countries.

As for radio, keep in mind that our spooks have been planting radio bugs for 75 years, so they are pretty good at it.

1 Like
If the transmitter is plugged into a USB2 port and it's bus-powered, it'll still only have a maximum of 2.5W to play with (potentially much less if there's a legitimate device drawing power at the other end of the cable). I still have a hard time believing you'd be able to get decent range with that little power.

Couldn’t they alter/boost that power with the chip(s)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcsDC-DC-USB-0-9v-5v-to-5vDC-Boost-Step-Up-Power-Supply-Module-Mini-PFM-Control-/291015766289?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

1 Like

So basically the best way to create a truly secure computer (secure as in no outside communication with it), is to have an air gap AND place it within a Faraday cage. If you’re going so far as to have an air gap then it’s not much of a leap to create some kind of Faraday cage around it/the room.

1 Like
It's not inconceivable that someone would be bugged by multiple countries.
I have a laptop that I call "the whore". I've sent it in for repair multiple times making sure that my blacklisted name is on the order forms. I've also allowed it to have many things installed on it at checkpoints, etc. and use it to chat and exchange files with known honeypots.

It’s currently being simultaneously spied upon by the “hey, it’s just metadata” NSA and FBI from the USA, Mossad, Russian services, Chinese and those French bastards. So far, they’ve found out that I have a fascination with gimps in Texas and a sadistic, terroristic plot to forcibly seduce conservative radio host Matt Barber.

6 Likes

And now you’ve made that public domain knowledge too! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Wait… this is a secure channel here, isn’t it?

All those things do is step up the voltage by reducing the current - they can’t magically give you more power.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean that chip in particular (I doubt the NSA has it available on the open market, hahaha)… couldn’t there be a chip that alters the current in some way to make the cable work better as a short range antenna especially if the cable itself was altered and the insulation was removed/altered?

http://www.indiamart.com/law-abiding/audio-transmitters.html

USB Cable Transmitter

Battery life is always an issue with continuous investigation. Using USB as a power source, USB Cable Transmitter helps users to accomplish their purposes without worrying about battery.

The Transmitter is fully functional as a USB2.0 cable. It means that a transmitter can be set as a replacement for an connecting cable of ordinary USB devices such as printer, CD drive or external hard drive.

If there is no peripherals around, simply plug USB Transmitter to a computer and put the other end wherever you want and it still works as a battery-less transmitter. All you need is an available USB port of a computer that is turned on and running.

Features:

Continuous power supply needed (depending on computer.)
Easy installation.

(Once again, this isn’t meant to be a literal example)

The NYT article has an illustration with a transceiver inside a USB cable.
**CowTip**: If a stranger plugs his coffee cup into your laptop at the coffee shop. Ask questions.

2 Likes

You need to get some sleep: who the hell cares about conference-based verifiability of well and truly destroyed data over actually well and truly destroyed data? I have never operated either a belt sander, or a thermite conflagration at a conference venue. If I char, melt and vaporize that sucker myself (probably not at a conference, yo), done. Easy!

1 Like

And jam ultrasonic frequencies.

2 Likes

Capacitor + voltage step up lets you run a camera flash off of a single AA battery. You wouldn’t be able to transmit at a high wattage constantly, but it should be possible to transmit at high power intermittently even from a low power source

2 Likes