One of the most awesome tape decks ever made for car use

[Read the post]

1 Like

How do you change the clock time?

2 Likes

I recently noticed that people complaining about the audio quality of a song played at a party are always born in 1990 or later.

3 Likes

Tapes are great for use in cars, better than 8-tracks in size, and far more survivable than CDs, the only way CDs really made sense is to have a big honking changer in the trunk, what a PITA!
Too bad the music companies did away with tape buyback rotation and forced the move to all-CD stocking.
I miss my old Pioneer tape deck with Super-Tuner to really pull in AM stations in the mountains East of the Cascades.
Of course a phone with a giant MP3 collection and a Bluetooth link beats both hands down.

2 Likes

I still have tape deck in my daily driver too (it’s 1991 Audi 80). The best thing about it is that I can use cassette adapter to plug in my phone (nokia E72) which gives me perfect loudspeaker set. I can play MP3s from the phone and talk as needed. Not to mention free maps. Oh what fantastic solutions technology gives us.

2 Likes

I beg to differ. I went through no fewer than five (5) cassette copies of Deep Purple’s Perfect Strangers album in the 80s and 90s, and I’m only on my second CD copy. Maybe it’s a Southern California thing, but tape cassettes not only sound awful, but are much more susceptible to warping in the sun as well as just plain wearing out through use. CDs last a good long time if you handle them reasonably carefully and keep the peanut butter off them.

I would really have coveted this Kenwood when I was in high school, and all the servos and lights and that EQ are still delightful and impressive. All that tech and miniaturization is woefully wasted on cassettes, though.

My 2004 Toyota Sienna has a tape deck (I think it must be one of the very last model years to have them sold in the U.S.), and yeah, it works great with an iPod cassette adapter, though they do get a bit squeaky after a year or two.

2 Likes

This is all I need…

7 Likes

The dancing LEDs on today’s heads just don’t cut it.

The 17 year old me could have had something similar but stupidly went with something a lot like this instead:

1 Like

…and this marvellous tape deck can be yours for only $ 2,000 pounds - BMW included.

1 Like

Tight, tight, tight!

Yeah, dammit - decent FM tuners haven’t been made for years AFAIK, in any form.

PLL circuitry? Duh, what’s that?

Uh, no. Cassettes beat out 8 tracks, but only because 8 tracks have a world of problems (tape path that puts a great deal of wear and tear on the tape; most albums had 10 songs, which you can’t evenly divide by 4; etc.).

Cassettes will almost always have dead air at the end of one side or the other. CDs don’t. Cassettes don’t have indexed tracks. Some advanced tape players attempted to determine where a song ended by detecting the dead air between songs, but that fails when there’s a song with a long pause in it, or when one song leads directly into another without a pause (think of Zeppelin’s Heartbreaker/Living Love Maid, for instance).

Every time you play a tape, you add to the cumulative wear caused by traveling over the rollers and across the head. CDs don’t require any physical contact to read them.

CDs can be losslessly duplicated, meaning you can keep the ten cent copies in your car, and the originals at home. You can copy a cassette, but it will sound noticeably worse than the original.

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

4 Likes

So… will pawning it get enough money to cover the ticket for driving with an obstructed view?

For OG units, fuck yeah.

Oh, so many monkey tokens you would have!

Or, alternately, build them into your dashboard.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.