Opening a can without any tools

Newsflash: Block of Concrete = Tool

See, this is what opening a can without tools looks like.

I imagine this idea is what our man Harold eventually came up with.

Thanks again, Gary Larson!

1 Like

This was used in the zimmerman trial - the defense suggested that Trayvon was not un-armed as there was a concrete kerbside to use as a tool

2 Likes

Well, in strictly post-apocalyptic terms, is the amount of work required to open the can equal to or greater than the amount of energy you will get from the food?

“When the only fastener you have is a nail, every tool looks like a hammer.”

Well I merely meant that to point out that there is an effective can opener that is small enough to carry with one at all times.

Spending a couple of minutes scraping a can on a piece of concrete is undoubtedly easier than grinding corn with a stone mortar and pestle, so I expect that it’s significantly less energy-demanding than the contents provide. All that they’re doing is wearing off the extremely-thin metal at the crimp around the rim, which frees up the lid enough from the body to make it fairly simple, albeit mildly hazardous from a sharp-metal-cut perspective, to get at the food.

Also, bearing in mind that canned food has to be pasteurized in order to be safely preserved, it’s effectively been cooked and is essentially ready-to-eat. It may not be particularly appetizing, but so long as the seal on the can is intact, it should be perfectly safe to consume without further preparation and the energy required to perform that preparation.

I expect that any sufficiently abrasive rock would work in lieu of concrete. One may have to grind the rim in a different way, like turning the can so that one one part of the rim contacts an uneven rock at any given time, but any grinding should work.

I think the video is making a fairly safe assumption. There’s a LOT of concrete in this world, and concrete tends to last a very long time, so unless one finds one’s self far, far from where humans have previously impacted the natural world, one can probably find concrete. Furthermore, one is most likely to find unopened cans of food near concrete, as both are artifacts of humans.

You mean something like these?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=waiter’s+wine+opener&safe=off&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-jOLUoXtGeSEjAKbxYC4Ag&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=838#imgdii=_

I think it’s called waiter’s wine opener. My late father use to do fine dining, so we have a couple of these lying around at home. The little folded knife is actually designed to puncher cans if need be. So without knowing it you’re actually doing what it was meant to do, but probably poor skilled. The original intent was to cut open wrappings, steel wires, etc, whatever the waiter needs to open wine bottles or make small hole in a can to pour out water while keeping the solids, etc,.

I’ve never seen a serrated edge one, but would not be surprised. And no, I’m not good with that tool. I either screw it in too much or too little or for some reason still can’t pull that cork out of the bottle.

1 Like

really? grinding the can against concrete was actually the first thing that came to mind. when i was in grade school we used a similar method to make shivs during recess.

1 Like

Having watched people try to get cans open without can openers… yes, really. Hahah.

That’s totally true, it just seemed like the point of articles like this aren’t “what tools should you carry with you” the point of them are “when you find yourself in a situation that you did not expect and were not able to prepare for, what creative thinking tools can you use to create solutions.”

1 Like

Just what is in the large can? “Sfozz”? “Fyoscht”?

Khlav Kalash???

WOAH! That’s the thing! Why do I have that? I don’t even do fine dining!

Worked really well though.

My favorite meal is worms with whup-ass. You can’t get that fresh, my friends.

1 Like

In Soviet Russia, cans open you up!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.