Original Star Wars trilogy may become available on Blu-Ray

On occasion, I do watch the theatrical version on bluray, which is a big improvement even if the end result is a problematic film. The bluray/hddvd was an opportunity to “get it right”, and Universal took it.

1 Like

Not to watch; I just want it out because Lucas wants it to remain buried.

(I just realized that I can’t actually speak for the person you’re replying to, but I doubt I’m alone in my reason for wanting the thing available.)

But that’s just spite. I want it available because that version was the version that garnered so many awards. It’s a historical artifact.

The Dune Blu-ray looks really great. Beautiful transfer with great colour. No “enhancements”, just a nice scan.

1 Like

Maybe so, but they’d strangle him themselves if the price was right. This may be their last shot at selling this film on physical media.

2 Likes

Commenter Gizzy2000 at comic book.com says:

All three Star Wars films are trademarks of Lucasfilm, and Fox has no right to distribute them if Lucasfilm (now Disney) does not want them to. The distribution rights just mean that the films have to be distributed by Fox. Fox does not own the MOVIES, just the distribution rights. Disney could take all the films out of print if they wanted to and Fox could do nothing about it.

Surely this means that if Disney decides to restore and release the original movies then Fox gets (the first option at least) to distribute them. And who would say no to another round of cash off a 31+ year old trilogy?

I’ve got the first issued boxset on DVD as well as transfers from the laserdisc that were floating around before then, but yes, if the original cuts came out on Blu-ray, I’d buy that for a dollar.

I’ve only ever lent out my laserdisc transfers to younger family members as I don’t want to be the person who introduces them to Greedo shooting first or a ghost Hayden Christensen.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for the rerelease of “Twice Upon a Time”.

1 Like

The Christmas Special garnered awards?

(Check the post I was responding to. Paying attention is a plus, generally.)

Mistakes were made.

2 Likes

I thought they came pre-ruined right out of the gate?

Some of the obsession over getting the trilogy in “original” condition seems to be approaching audiophile levels of obsession. I got the original cut of Ep. IV that was released on DVD several years ago and it seemed fine. I don’t think that anyone is really going to duplicate their original Star Wars experience unless they can turn themselves back into a 13-year-old.

Yes. It was only broadcast once and I missed part of the beginning. Plus, as was normal for that time of year when I was very young, I was quite sick with some nastiness imported by my aunt and uncle from the boarding school they both worked at. All I can remember is the stuff with Chewy and his nephew or brother (the kid wookie). And even that is a memory tinged by reasonably high fever, lucid, but very questionable.

I keep remembering it as “Thanksgiving Special,” but that’s only because of when it aired. I didn’t see the whole show, either, but in my case it was deliberate. I saw the beginning and didn’t stick around for the end. I was 8, and obsessed with Star Wars at least as much as the next kid, but even at the time I thought it was bad.

I’m guessing it ended something like this:

1 Like

I was just barely 6, so that just adds to the clouds of the memory. The Imperial presence was even more disturbing to my fevered mind than it was when I saw the movie the prior year, that much I recall clearly. To this day, I have an abhorrence for uniforms that include jack-boots. Not an entirely bad thing, I guess.

If Han didn’t shoot first, and the movie is titled “A New Hope”, it’s not the Original Star Wars.

I might be willing to buy Blu-Ray to see the original movie, though I’m not going to go buy an 80s laser disk player in hopes of getting a copy of the original laser disk that had the real thing.

It’s less about duplicating the experience than it is seeing the experience get fucked up by others.

If Monet got drunk one afternoon and put a huge red X across his Water Lillies, wouldn’t you kind of prefer seeing it the original way if you could? Han shooting second is a crappy edit that looks like a crappy edit. Putting Jabba in there adds nothing to the plot and when Han walks over his tail turns Jabba into a caricature not worthy of any of the respect that anyone shows him in Jedi.

There are few, if any, edits that Lucas did that actually helped the characters or the story. I don’t want to watch the equivalent of a TV-edited pan-and-scan version of a movie, even if it was the original director who went back in to do it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.