Owner of John Lennon's tooth would like to clone the musician

He wouldn’t be exactly genetically the same either. There has to be an egg - so different mitochondrial DNA, His epigenetics would be different as well. Certainly would have better nutrition than growing up in England during the war.

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

All I’m saying, is give the pieces a chance.

3 Likes

There’s a fucking great SF novel about teenage rebellion in there, though.

2 Likes

If we can clone people, we can submerge and rise them in virtual 50’s Liverpool as well. We can build a better Lennon and we will.

4 Likes

I’m planning on cloning an army of Gary Coleman’s for… everything!

2 Likes

I was about to bring this up if no one else had.

It actually WOULD be interesting to see this go through in the end and learn about how Clone John Lennon reacts to the life of John Lennon. You know, like whether or not he would try to emulate his former life against his adoptive father’s wishes.

1 Like

I expect he would rebel against a pushy parent and not get involved in music at all.

3 Likes

1 Like

Not to mention that with the variability and vagaries of gene expression, there are going to be fundamental biological/physiological differences as well (beyond the obvious nuture/environmental differences). This is why identical twins aren’t ever truly identical (though often very similar).

2 Likes

“not his son, not even a carbon-copy but another ORIGINAL, he was
thrilled by the idea! The right Lennon for the right future! A Lennon
tailor-made for the 1980s, the 1990s, TWO THOUSAND!!!”

Only differences that are visible are encoded in DNA? What if we could see in other ways than interpreting light?

I agree that you won’t get a meaningful clone, but I prefer the argument from “you can’t step into the same river twice”.

1 Like

"He would still be his exact duplicate "

Ummmm no. Same DNA is not an exact duplicate, even ignoring the nurture and environment thing, there will be physiological differences. An obvious physical example to demonstrate the point, his fingerprints will be completely different, so you can just imagine all the underlying differences that in the end make him a completely different person. This is why cloning of this kind is just pointless and misunderstood as to what it actually means to clone someone.

1 Like

As most any identical twin could tell you.

My brother and I used to be the same zygote and we had more or less identical upbringings. All the same, anyone who knows us well can tell us apart on sight and I’d be a sorry choice for a replacement if asked to step into his shoes as a mechanical engineer.

5 Likes

My guess would be because it’s such a long shot as to be impossible. I mean – is he going to do the cloning himself, in his own genetic research hospital, with state of the art clonification test tubes and ENIAC brain blasters?
Saying he’s going to clone Lennon is like me saying I’m going to swim to Antarctica because I happen to have water wings. In theory, it could be done. In practice… not so much.

3 Likes

I Am The Walrus meets Jurassic Park.

1 Like

So you didn’t even study enough to be able to fake it if he needs to pull a sickie? You selfish bastard.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.