Pandering to the lizard brain: American media versus objective reality

Who trusts TV news?
I know through observation that they’ve been promising “Wee knights at 10:00” at least since the early '70s.

I didn’t see any little people in armor until Game of Thrones aired.

P.S. Once you see the “wee knights” announcement, you will never unsee it.
P.P.S Food network is equally untrustworthy.

2 Likes

there are some posts saying fox sucks, and I imagine at least one of them may have been made by such a 'theoretical person" (strawman) as you assume.

But for the level of certainty your words communicate… I feel I should ask: Are you a psychic, a stalker, or a poser? To KNOW so much about people you’ve never met, and NOT have it be projection like it is for everyone else who does that, well, it must be a blessing for you.

1 Like

I chose to avoid social media for a couple days, as that is the level of control I have over other people.

3 Likes

A scarecrow of strawmen.

5 Likes

Are we going to make any progress while we’re in a system that exploits our flaws irresponsibly?

I’m thinking we’re pretty much stuck until we have the option to join one that 24/7 is designed to allow us to acknowledge them and use evidence and science to help us serve the greater good.

I’m thinking there are more of ‘us’ than ‘them’, and once ‘they’ run out of ‘us’ their model falls apart anyway.

The problem is they’ve got us all trapped in this silly birth-nation lottery that was never a particularly good idea civilization-wise.

3 Likes

An anencephaly of strawmen?

4 Likes

While it isn’t the part that reads newspapers, isn’t it the part that at least influences how we emotionally react to what we read, and what part we choose to remember?

Quite easier than expected. Just brush against a holy cow you didn’t even knew was grazing there. Or fairly mildly express your irritation at one.

…at least it spawned a project of marrying electrical discharge machining toolhead to a 3d printer. Could be a pretty interesting bastard offspring if it works. At least the circuitboard making should work with usable speed, according to handheld tests.

1 Like

It’s been said that if Republicans said the world is flat and Democrats said it’s round, the pundit class would discover that it’s actually a semicircle.

13 Likes

I always liked Jon Stewart’s line on The Daily Show, “We watch Fox News so you don’t have to…”

10 Likes

That’s actually a rip off of the volunteers who worked on the film Outfoxed…

The sad state of American media is not really all that new. In his analysis, Manufacturing Consent, Chomsky used data on how newspapers reported on the Vietnam War.

Has it gotten worse since the 60’s, or has it just mutated? Everybody says that Trump is unusual for his fascism, but open racial hatred isn’t exactly new in american politics either. The only thing that’s new is that we can’t pretend to be smarter than our grandparents any more.

9 Likes

Sure, I agree. In fact I used to watch both FNC and listen to Limbaugh for that exact reason: “know thy enemy.” And yes, I would feel kind of ill sometimes too (one reason I don’t watch any more.) I would still describe this as a “thrill” in the same way watching a horror movie might make you sick but still be exciting.

I would say it’s ironic because liberals who watch FNC are legitimately part of the audience, as far as advertisers are concerned-- by watching FNC you are supporting them, despite that you disagree with everything they say or stand for.

Well, is it the duty of the media to be a watchdog on other media, or just report the news? If nobody who watches FNC is willing to watch MSNBC to hear Maddow disprove something O’Reilly claimed, how much does it accomplish? When Jon Stewart used to call out Hannity, and then Hannity would reply on his own show. . . leading to Stewart replying again, it was like a long protracted internet argument.

“If I could just say a few words… I’d be a better public speaker.”

• Homer Simpson
2 Likes

If we’re talking the actual duty of the fifth estate, it’s to inform and educate responsibly. That’s why they get special access and a platform.

The whole ‘let’s exploit humanity’s flaws and get them as riled up as possible for as big a cut of the ad revenue pie’ bit is kind of the opposite.

FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and the like shouldn’t even get to call themselves news. They’re bit sized bits of horror weeded from 7 billion people when our brains are designed for 150 and fed to us for maximum viewer trauma/attention.

VOX is news. Those other wanktards are the opposite.

3 Likes

Of course, but even VOX has advertisements, and if profit margins are part of the business model then the reporting is susceptible to being edited to suit an advertiser’s whims. The duty of the Fifth Estate is always being tampered with by accountants.

1 Like

Or the whims of the owners, we had a few golden years, but I am afraid we are back to the days of Hearst and yellow reporting, etc.

1 Like

Proving it’s possible to provide information and education on current events without sensationalizing.

It’s just not as profitable as our pundit and drama-driven 24 hour news cycle. Like I said, as far as I’m concerned FOX and the rest shouldn’t even be able to call themselves news if they can’t behave like responsible adults. That IS possible with a reasonable profit margin.

Hey, you’re back! Hello!

2 Likes

I am!

I was just waiting until I got my groove back. :wink:

3 Likes

A scythe of strawmen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.