Pebble sold 400,000 smartwatches last year

[Permalink]

I like this concept for a new smart watch:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Smartwatch-Concept/14929833

Pebble Steel looks fine but 250$ for the “old” Pebble-innards with a better looking case but without BT 4.0 is a bit steep.

They do seem to be struggling with a supply problem for the Pebble Steel. They have been backordered for quite some time… at least for mid-Jan orders and beyond

They may be bought; but I don’t think Samsung’s Gear or Apple’s offering will eat their lunch.
Pebbles are open and compatible with any phone that is BT4 (?) compatible.
Gears require one of 3-4 phones and Apple’s will almost certainly tie to iProducts.

shrug They’re carving a wider swathe in the market so I think they’ll do fine this year. It’s also a great product, own one myself. (And I had the option of a Gear or Pebble)

1 Like

Samsung also released a gear watch last year, so I am not sure this batch of overpriced, under-batteried (?), Samsung-exclusive devices is going to change much this year.

Even the Google Wear products look to be much more expensive, and I’d be surprised if they get as good battery life as the Pebble.

I want a smartwatch that doesn’t require a mobile phone. I need to replace my old school Casio Data Bank 150 calculator watch soon. :frowning:

Why settle for a simple concept watch, when you can have a pretty similar looking one for realsies? My only concern with these fancy new Android Wear watches is battery life. As it is, it’s kind of annoying to have to charge my watch every 5-7 days or so. Having to charge my watch, say, every day? I think I would find that somewhat annoying (especially since I use my Pebble as a sleep tracker).

I have a Pebble, and I love it. One of my favourite things about the Pebble is that there’s a HUGE development community building apps for it. I’m sure the iWatch is going to be well supported, obviously, but I’m curious how Android Wear will pan out. It seems like it’ll suffer from the same fate that Android currently does - having to support multiple platforms, and multiple screen resolutions (and now shapes!). But it’s an interesting time, and it’s so rare these days to see a new (well, new to mass market consumers) product category take off. The last one would probably be the tablet market, with the iPad launch.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.