Petition: remove child-specific antipersonnel device from Welsh library

Yeah, that could get annoying.

Your link also doubles as a speakers tester. Mine wouldn’t play it, had to switch to headphones.

Some librarian is just creating a neo-pavlovian conditioning “room” to help develop a generation of “Deltas”

A hatred for books is ingrained in the lower castes to prevent them from wasting the community’s time reading books that might “decondition” them.
10 Likes

I remember in the 70s a Target and another department store near Milwaukee, Wisconsin; I think a place called Treasure Island had this terrible mosquito tone like noise especially toward the front of the store, it would make me dizzy nearly inducing vertigo, and very irritable. As a very busy ADHD little kid it made my mother’s already difficult job just that much more so, eventually she just stopped shopping at those stores.

I can hear it just fine. And I’m not the target zone. But it’s really not all THAT annoying. Like, compared to an actual mosquito it’s quite pleasant.

1 Like

A ringing endorsement, indeed!

8 Likes

I will say this, for places with any pretense of keeping their (usually cement) architecture intact, this is one of many options to prevent skateboard truck damage to a minimum.

I was a So. Cal. skate kid when I was young, and am now sort of horrified by all the structures that I rubbed surf wax on and caused damage to “grinding” with my “trucks”. Some of those places long since admitted defeat, and the accelerated wear and tear that my friends and I inflicted on those properties is still visible.

Now there are more humane ways of deterring this (like those little annoying aluminum bolt on or glue on edge guards), but I don’t think I can rail against a city trying to prevent property damage to a public structure through non-harmful (but extremely annoying) means.

5 Likes

Sounds like this could be circumvented with some 50 cent rubber bullets.

2 Likes

I’m imagining, five hundred years from now, which I’d rather see, between a pristine public structure, and property damage through non-harmful but extremely annoying means, as someone interested in the past.

1 Like

Try to imagine a similar tool that only affected women, or men, or gay people, or black people, or Asians

I’m trying to imagine, but most of what I come up with isn’t postable.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure which side you come down on from this post, but imagining that any of these buildings will still be around in five hundred years might be a tad optimistic–whether everything’s underwater, or we just knock them down and replace them.

I feel a sudden urge to rewatch a bunch of Eddie Izzard. “You tear your history down, man!” :smile:

4 Likes

What? And have them getting… ideas? I think not! Libraries are places where we protect the past from such… ruffians.

Convenience stores around these parts don’t want the wrong element hanging around, so they use a sonic deterrent as well - classical music. Good thing Alex and his droogs don’t come around often.

4 Likes

You can always tell a Milford man.

WTF- is that actually inaudible to anybody who has usable hearing? My wife says my hearing is crap and I’d tend to agree (years of concerts, using power tools, motorcycling in open wind, all without hearing protection). I could hear those just fine.

@Boundegar Your comment was so rad I registered just to like it. Glad to see some people still remember that ultraviolence is something else than Lana Del Rey album :wink:

Milk plus on me.

Gah, I just took an online hearing test and they nailed my age via tones :). At least I have 16k left. Even when I was young I could never hear above 19k, 20k has always been silent.

So Moquitos wouldn’t affect me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I imagine that the Ferguson, MO police wouldn’t be all to pleased having to guard a library in Wales in the evening hours (though that may be a more appropriate job for them as I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that there are fewer people of color in Wales than in MO).

I think my cattle grid for the elderly has potential.

I’m 35 and I can hear these things just fine. I don’t really appreciate getting blasted with noise just because I was walking down the street. It really should be classified as a public nuisance.

Well, they could always take the third option and get over themselves.

7 Likes

The answer to this sort of thing in every community is to build the local kids a skate park.

13 Likes

Those were associated with burglar alarms. Awful things.

1 Like