Picking up the pieces of How I Met Your Mother’s finale

OK, yeah, there was Marshal’s dad. And the show also had the chronic travails of Ted’s love life–every other episode he was down in the dumps after another breakup. But it almost always ended on an optimistic beat. Overall it wasn’t a “dark” series by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, any show that goes on that long is going to have a few “special” episodes, but the trajectory was always one of optimism, hope and fun. Nose-diving into this angsty depressing downer of a finale didn’t fit the show at all.

Here’s the HIMYM ending I think I’ll choose to remember:

2 Likes

Never watched this show; never cared. Just wanted to point out that the end of 6 Feet Under had an absolutely spectacular long flash-forward to show how the main characters lived (and died, of course!). Not a word of dialogue; just cuts between Claire driving East to her adult life and the various meetings and funerals.

I never really got into this show, and I’ve been wondering why. Looking back, historically I’ve been all about comedies portraying rich, young, beautiful white people and their high jinks. But I believe that’s the problem. I’ve watched literally decades of shows about rich, young, beautiful white people and their high jinks. I’m a fifty-something primarily white man, and I’m so incredibly bored by rich, young, beautiful white people on television. Whether it’s a comedy, or a drama, I’m just so sick of that world.

2 Likes

Your feigned ignorance is both a pathetic attempt at humor and an inadvertent admission that your life is a sad and bitter ordeal made tolerable only by loitering on internet message boards with the sole intent of leaving snarky comments in a desperate attempt to be noticed.

1 Like

Never watched Six Feet Under; never cared.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.