Pinterest board full of nostalgic D&D art

[Permalink]

1 Like

That is one of the most awesome things I have seen today. Though it did remind me of why I gave up on D&D. Went too far to many games where the DM said ‘you need this book and this book and this book’ before I could play. Gave up on it and moved on.

[wipes manly tear from eye. sighs wistfully]

1 Like

Pfaugh! Why, back in my day the art was totally amateur-looking. Whippersnappers.

Speaking of D&D art, former TSR artist Dave Trampier just passed away. He’s best remembered for the cover of old players manual with the jewel-eyed idol and the Wormy comic:

2 Likes

I still have The Gauntlet and The Sentinel back at home with my 1st and 2nd Ed. AD&D books. The remembers…

swoon

This is why i’ve been a bit melancholy all day.DAT had a great graphic style which I think suited the games he helped illustrate very well.

(And I’ve always loved Wormy.)

I love how his technique improved by the late 70’s, with the full-on, high-contrast style, seen in his iconic images of a lich, pseudodragon, and rakshasa. Truly one of the best of the D&D illustrators.

3 Likes

Do we know which downloads from them have DRM - has anyone kept a list?
(IIRC, they’re powered by the DriveThru site, which I seem to recall doesn’t DRM but watermarks their PDFs with identifying info.)

Rest in peace D.A.T.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.