Plastic pennies: 100 for $3.49

[Permalink]

Hahahaha,best thing I’ve seen today :smile:

1 Like

And so cheap, too!

2 Likes

Real pennies aren’t safe for younger kids because they don’t have the choke warning.

32 Likes

I was looking for play money bills the other day. They, at least, are cheaper than the instruments they portray.

Idea: Candyland, but you lay the color cards out in a pool instead of drawing them. Kids have a hand of play money and bid on the cards.

Apparently far more costly than a bag of real pennies…

Maybe the savings are realized when you need 100 plastic quarters for only $3.49…?

3 Likes

A street huckster conned me into buying a silver 5 dollar Canadian coin, for 10 bucks. Seemed like a fair deal. Days later I took it too a bank and asked about its actually worth. “Five dollars” the teller replied. Immediately I bray laughter exclaiming “I paid 10 for it!”

2 Likes

Advantages:

1. You don’t have to take them out of your pockets to go through airport security
  2. …
7 Likes

[quote=“Lightningwaltz, post:8, topic:23904, full:true”]
A street huckster conned me into buying a silver 5 dollar Canadian coin, for 10 bucks.[/quote]

That’s an impressive con… how did it work? What did they say to make you think it was worth more than $5CAN? Or were you just not aware the exchange rate is (roughly) 1-1?

1 Like

Think of them as an investment. Who knows how much they’ll be worth in a few years?

3 Likes

I think the term you’re looking for is seigniorage.

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Benjamin: Yes, sir. Mr. McGuire: Are you listening? Benjamin: Yes, I am. Mr. McGuire: Plastics. Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean? Mr. McGuire: Plastic Pennies - invest now.
10 Likes

Well, there are enough memorial/jubilee/etc coins that have a nominal value below the metal (and collectors) value.

1 Like

It almost certainly did sell for more than $5, but that doesn’t mean anyone else is going to give you more than that for it.

OMFG HILARIOUS MARK. WAY TO MAKE FUN OF INSTRUCTIONAL TOOLS.
I use tools such as these in my classroom all the time. Now I feel insecure and fragile because of your snarky post about the price of plastic money.

I see what you didn’t do there…

Our Snarkometers ™ must be calibrated differently - mine wasn’t triggered by this. In my mind this met the"wonderful thing" test.

1 Like

Yes? Isn’t petroleum more expensive than zinc?

1 Like

Well, was it a Silver Maple Leaf? Those have a $5 face value, but contain an ounce of silver, which is worth a little over $20 these days. Hopefully a bank teller would have known that. Or maybe this happened when an ounce of silver was worth about $10 (not that long ago.)

Edit: I should add that the bank teller would still not give you more than $5 for it, but a coin shop or a collector would pay you for the value of the silver.

7 Likes