Pussy Riot in Putin's gulag: daily forced gynecological exams

Whether it was three weeks or almost twenty days, Stephen, it would have really, really hurt. Any woman can tell you that. One trip to the doctor for a regular exam can make you a bit sore for the rest of the day. Being examined by prison staff on a near daily basis would literally tear you up inside and leave you quite raw. It’d be painful, you’d bleed, and it would hurt to sit on hard surfaces…and I’m betting there weren’t too many soft chairs to sit on in the prison.

6 Likes

Whoa. You pick THIS to nitpick? The women are basically raped, and you quibble about how often it happens?

5 Likes

Given the psychological impact of forced gyno exams, I’m voting for a pass on this one. Let’s not appear to be Putin’s secretaries, ok?

2 Likes

As much as I detest what Putin did to them, calling for a boycott of the Sochi games is a terrible idea. The Olympic athletes train for years to get their one moment in the spotlight. A boycott will accomplish nothing but punish the athletes who have absolutely nothing to do with this.

Won’t someone think of the poor athletes?
Jesus…

3 Likes

pilot, thanks for stating pretty much the first thought that jumped into my head, along with… “What’s this? People imprisoned unjustly, forced to work like slaves, and subjected to assault and humiliation! Goodness! What does Russia think it is? A U.S. state or something?”

I’d be fascinated to see BoingBoing do a little more introspection and little less “gadzooks, aren’t those other countries just awful!” After all, it is based out of a country that has the highest percentage of its citizens in prison…by a whole frickin’ bunch.

1 Like

To be fair, we don’t generally do this to our citizens in prison, just the ones we’ve taken citizenship away from and sent to the armpit of Cuba. And if they’re not citizens, it’s like it didn’t even happen!

1 Like

I thought most of the calls for boycotts were because of Russia’s treatment of gay people. What about the gay athletes?

1 Like

What’s the difference between one criminal mafia boss running a country and another ? Except, perhaps Putin is more confident in his power, but pretty much ALL our leaders are corrupt political criminals. . .

I take it you haven’t had much experience with American prisons, huh? Trust me when I say that Guantanamo isn’t the only place where rampant human rights violations are the norm. It’s pretty much endemic to the system.

1 Like

Hey, apples to oranges. Human rights violations in prisons are criminal. Human rights violations in Guantanamo are non existent- as far as we’re concerned, there are no people there. Guantanamo isn’t even IN the system!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.