? ❓ ⚛ Questions. Questions? QUESTIONS!? ⚛ ❓?

Maybe Google is calculating by the exact center of the US to Russia’s nearest edge? Like some confused lost cellphone finder?

Did I tell y’all about the plan I made to cycle from the east coast to the west coast, kayak in tow and then paddle to Hawaii … At Google’s suggestion?

7 Likes

Do you mean outside of the arts, where the terminal degrees often an MFA or similar, and outside of clinical positions where the individual is hired because of some kind of practical expertise in the field, and is given the title “professor” because that is largely a generic term in the US synonymous with “college teacher”?

Did you know that the adjunct problem is as bad in some STEM fields as it often is in some humanities fields? And that the first time a historian came to my office, he was shocked by the working conditions in my department?

2 Likes

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&entry=s&sa=X&saddr=Russia&geocode=KfskZ4maVjxFMRP2EWb4_QkU;KQs2MuSEtepUMUK33kOSuTsc&daddr=United+States&gmm=CgIgAQ%3D%3D

Does this work?

1 Like

Is this where I express my sorrow? :frowning:

2 Likes

Has anyone hit a delete limit before? Do I get a badge for that?

You’re deleting posts too quickly. Please wait 1 second before trying again.

5 Likes

Have I deleted a post yet? Where do I go to find out? :laughing: Aren’t I going to bed instead of waiting for an answer? :rabbit2:

1 Like

Did I exclude STEM fields by talking about what I know and shouldn’t all people teaching have jobs which pay their bills - but, you know, capitalism? Can a historian find employment making six figures outside of academia? Can you get me that job, or do I get to find something that maybe gets me a salary and benefits and be grateful that I’m not in a gutter?

2 Likes

Didn’t I hit that at some point? Where was that exactly?

ETA: Ah, was it this one?

2 Likes

Can’t you get a job at the Georgia Historical Society and do those ‘on this day in history’ things on NPR? Does that pay 6 figures?

2 Likes

There’s no hard and fast rule, but you typically need a terminal degree in your field at an American university (which may be a master’s or a doctorate). At community colleges, master’s are apparently more typically accepted. I have a B.A., so what do I know?

1 Like

Couldn’t we underemployed human services types concentrate on organizing a new general strike and give up on chasing our tails?

2 Likes

Aw… don’t you have such pretty Siams?

Didn’t I also have the most sweet tempered blue pointed Siamese cat when I was a kid?

1 Like

But didn’t you yourself introduce the comparison between history and other backgrounds? And isn’t the real problem that nearly every PhD program in nearly every academic field is happy to keep student numbers up with no consideration of the job market, and that at the same time they are willing to put adjuncts in front of undergrad classrooms because they lack the courage to simply close classes until they are allocated an appropriate number of tenure-stream positions, but also because their power to do this is undermined by the queue of people willing to do the job as underpaid piecework?

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:1233, topic:76536”]
Can a historian find employment making six figures outside of academia? Can you get me that job [/quote]
Don’t I have enough trouble keeping up with the Alt-AC situation in my own field? But have you seen this article in the Chronicle?

Didn’t I spend 90 minutes yesterday afternoon strategizing with my university’s humanities dean about ways to get more permanent faculty lines in my school’s Arts and Sciences departments? And until I can (help) solve the budgeting and governance problems on my own campus, how much impact can I have on the rest of the industry?

2 Likes

Do you shake your ink-stained fist at them from the top of your ivy-covered ivory-tower?

3 Likes

Wouldn’t I recommend drinking plenty of fluids—PLENTY of fluids—just as you would if you were “sick”, to facilitate natural drainage?

Because don’t I find allergy symptoms to be much like having a head cold? Plus, haven’t I found using a neti pot and/or breathing in steam to be helpful for the allergy symptoms as well?

2 Likes

Don’t I know someone who has done that, and as a result also gotten a professorship? Wasn’t it due to writing (and then giving paid speeches) about a topic that happens to be not well studied by people in the U.S. but both the political and military establishments really need to know the information now? (Gosh, can you guess what area of the world I might be talking about? :wink: )

4 Likes

Aren’t I glad you’re helping at your university? Does it matter what I think anyway?

4 Likes

Would anyone actually notice or would they just assume I don’t know what I’m talking about because it’s not an “important field” that creates real wealth? Aren’t I just sick of being told that I’m somehow looking down on others because I’m working on a PhD, when I work hard to not look down on others? Aren’t I sick of the whole “STEM Vs. Humanities” trope that doesn’t actually exist?

8 Likes

Can’t I thank you for the advice?

2 Likes

Anyone else been super busy this week? Why does taking your kid to work actually result in it being more work?

6 Likes