Rampage shooting at Planned Parenthood in Colorado

The point being, that the war against PP is a war against women’s bodies. And caring for and tending to those bodies is not recognised by these terrorists as a worthwhile endeavour.

I don’t see anti-abortionist arguing for women health clinics without abortions. It’s more like they think women shouldn’t need abortions / smears / sexuality. Because no sex = no transmission = purity and godliness. If God wanted pre-natal care, or sexual health clinics and the like, he would have wiggled his wand and created them on day 6. wish hush. Something like that. As with all terrorists reason, measured arguments are not relevant :weary:

13 Likes

My guess is that in too many cases people need enemies for their group identity. A granfaloon to rally around. All the reasoning about it is then just a rationalization of something that gives them their sense of belonging. You cannot combat this successfully without replacing it with some other sense of belonging first. I see similarities between ideologies and cults; it is much more difficult to leave a mind-controlling cult when there’s nowhere else to go because the cult got you to poison relations with all your potential contacts.

Ease up on the ideological warfare, ease up on the polarization of the discourse, and I’d wager that the number of the hardcore nutcases will go down. Some wars cannot be won by escalating the fighting.

4 Likes

Guns don’t kill people. Cops kill people.

2 Likes

That there is the sort of thing that makes go the species destroying comet can’t come fast enough.

1 Like

Well said!

Thanks for the defend, but it’s all good. If the commenter had moved into troll country, I would have ignored them.

When he made Adam and Eve, he really effed up the firmware.
Needs some sort of Patch Tuesday system.

3 Likes

This is a whole other giant can of worms to open, but as a counter to the Fundies who are vehemently anti-abortion - doesn’t the Christian Bible actually say in numerous places that parents have the right to kill their own children? Even grown children?

I am not asking this to be inflammatory or in poor taste. I haven’t read the bible for like 25 years but I am nearly certain that there are examples in there. No, I do not equate abortion with murder, but I am pointing out that people who claim to be fundies are often hypocrites.

6 Likes

It wasn’t a defend, it was an expression of annoyance that in 2015 someone is still pulling the ‘inappropriate’ schtick. Because shooting from the hip without engaging brain is pretty much right wing SOP.

3 Likes

You just leap-frogged me with the depressing Gawker link!

4 Likes

Wow. One of them even manages to get in a dig at the Black Lives Matter movement. That’s extra classy right there.

12 Likes

You have but one like to give.

3 Likes

True that.

When you put together a prototype with self-evolution and genetic programming hacks, you will get a rough aggregate like we are. The developer is retired for millenia, some say dead, so no help to get from here.

But we got genetic engineering.

We are the patch.

5 Likes

This posting and the subsequent thread just goes to show you that you need to be careful if you are relying on BoingBoing or Gawker or BuzzFeed for breaking news like this. Journalism is more than just copying links or retweeting; it requires more work than simply collecting clickable content.

1 Like

Do you have any actual point here?

For example, can you express what exactly BoingBoing or Gawker got wrong that the news media got right? Because frankly, loath though I am to defend the integrity of Gawker or Buzzfeed, I don’t see very much difference between their coverage and the general media coverage of the event.

The news media really aren’t investing in journalism much at this point and most of the time they seem afraid to take a stance on anything.

16 Likes

How does it show this? Please explain, in detail.

10 Likes

Probably overkill. We are killing each other less and valuing human life more now than in any other point in human history. A mere 100 years/2-3 generations ago would be gobsmacked at the era of peace and prosperity we live in.

8 Likes

But we’re still stuck on this stupid rock. We need to get more resilient against environmental factors, and radiation-hardened.

5 Likes

No kidding