Reputation Economy Dystopia: China's new "Citizen Scores" will rate every person in the country

The Panopticon will be out-sourced.

4 Likes

Post-colonial theorists such as Edward Said insisted that essentialism was the “defining mode” of “Western” historiography and ethnography until the nineteenth century and even after, according to Touraj Atabaki, manifesting itself in the historiography of the Middle East and Central Asia as Eurocentrism, over-generalization, and reductionism.

4 Likes

If Alibaba have any sense, any faults in the system will be built in at the start as additional ways to maximise their profit.
“Errors can be fixed. But it’s not free.”

2 Likes

And this is relevant how?

1 Like

Sorry, I was trying to rationalize what the other guy was saying. Seed drills are a major technological advancement, but one of the only clear cases where China was more advanced than Europe. Paper from wood pulp and sericulture are important, but they can’t increase availability of food like a seed drill.

Any Chinese brave enough to weigh in on this?

Yes, I’ve read a book or three on Chinese technology and engineering.

The whole point about technological development is rather tertiary to the discussion though. “They were more advanced than Europe 300 years ago so we should not judge their crazy.”

You think Boing Boing is read in China?

[quote=“albill, post:32, topic:67049”]
The whole point about technological development is rather tertiary to the discussion though.
[/quote]Yes, it would be much more productive to discuss the differences generated between the “four occupations” system and the “three estates” system that allowed for such divergent, yet parallel development that extrapolates into diverse, culturally-mediated reactions toward modern anthropic valuation tabulations.

1 Like

Or, you know, to say, “Hey, we’re all where we are today and it is the 21st century and we can judge the behavior of nation-states however we feel like…”

Probably a good idea to criticize those who lean toward oversimplifying and handwaving, so that something can be discussed instead of throwing our collective hands in the air and exclaiming “China!”

2 Likes

I’m sure that there are more than the two options you paint here.

China doesn’t get a pass on despotism simply because they’re a 75 year old country with a 3,000 or so year continuous culture that used to be the highest technology center in the world.

They should at least have the dignity to privatize it, first.

2 Likes

“it’s like someone took all my novels and blended them together, and turned them into policy (with Chinese characteristics”

It’s all Cory’s fault.

3 Likes

How many years does a regime of despotic kleptocracy need to successfully oppress people before it becomes Part of Their Culture, and therefore safe from criticism?
Asking on behalf of a number of governments.

10 Likes

[quote=“8080256256, post:14, topic:67049”]
So this (together with, perhaps, India) is one instance where I’m rather coy about patronizingly lecturing another civilization on how to run things.[/quote]

YEAH! I think it is high time we gave foot binding and castrating our civil servants a try.

4 Likes

It’s not even blocked. We’ve got at least one Chinese maker who has posted a little and we sometimes get curious posts when the Dalai Lama is mentioned.

5 Likes

Door A or door B? Ya’ll have fun picken!

2 Likes

I don’t really believe in all that conspiracy shit about illuminati and all… but sometimes you have to wonder, do they plan this shit together? Then again, there are greedy creative powerful assholes everywhere, so in all likelihood its probably just two indifferent Corporate boards (Isn’t China’s government at this point basically being run like a corporation?) screwing over their underlings completely by their own volition.

Remember middle school?

5 Likes