Restaurant wine priced at "thirty-seven fifty" = $3,750

[Permalink]

This is suspiciously similar to a very old urban legend.

8 Likes

I always ask the sommelier for ā€œthe cheapest gut-rot, dishwater swill you haveā€, and Iā€™ve never been overcharged for wine at Taco Bell yet.

16 Likes

What goes good with bean paste and processed cheese-like foodstuff?

8 Likes

Iā€™d recommend the Alcatraz Toilet Lightning, an early November vintage perhaps.

9 Likes

And then he realized it wasnā€™t a waiter after all, but the Loch Ness Monster! The monster said, ā€œI need about thirty-seven-fitty.ā€

23 Likes

He was ā€œtoldā€ that was the price. I understand he didnā€™t have his glasses (although Iā€™m not sure why) but that was his first mistake. The second was believing that a restaurant where appetizers start at $13 any bottle of wine would go for just $37.50.

I still feel bad for the guy, and I definitely think the waitress should have been clearer.

2 Likes

4loko.

3 Likes

The first mistake is eating at a Bobby Flay branded restaraunt. All bets are off once you make that decision.

7 Likes

Hmm. . The wine list is online, and yes the 2011 cab is $3,750 (also a $36 bottle of Merlot, so thereā€™s that). Apparently Screaming Eagle is known as a cult favorite

2 Likes

The name ā€œScreaming Eagleā€ is so ironic that indeed, if there was no picture, I would have thought it a fabrication.

2 Likes

And no recipe for the wine???

2 Likes

Maybe the eagle screams because of the price it got charged?

ā€¦similarly to IEEE being named after the sound you make when reading their specs?

3 Likes

Then, for $126 they have a ā€œAmerican Kobe strip steak and fresh lobster tailā€, which is a ripoff, not because of the price, but because thereā€™s no American Kobe. If itā€™s american, it canā€™t be Kobe. By definition, Kobe must comeā€¦ from Kobe (what a surprise). And a real Kobe steak would run for more than $300 for sure.

So yeah, they sound misleadingā€¦

Also, if they guy didnā€™t know the brand, could frobably think that was the ā€˜cheapā€™ wine.

8 Likes

Iā€™d just have assumed the wine was Australian with that name.

(Clearly Iā€™m not into the high-priced wine market.)

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen it called Wagyu and described as American grown kobe-style:

5 Likes

Actually, from their wine menuā€“a full bottle merlot 22002 Jeanne Marie, CA 2011 is $36.00 and thatā€™s not the only one under $40.00 They even have an under $50.00 section in the wine list.

1 Like

It sounds very much like breach of contract to me. She quoted the price as thirty-seven fifty ($37.50) not as three thousand seven hundred and fifty ($3,750).

10 Likes

Exactly. :smile:

Wagyu is the cattle breed, like Angus or Charolais. Itā€™s been selectively bred for high marbling characteristics but the flavour can vary depending on how itā€™s raised and finished. Itā€™s not a bad meat and you can get some excellent steaks from it but the brand cachet can lead to a high price for very poor quality meat.
Good dry-aged wagyu is worth a try once. Especially if someone else is paying.

Kobe-style is a marketing term so that you are further overcharged for Wagyu. If itā€™s not from Kobe, itā€™s not Kobe.

Wash it down with a bottle of Grange for twelve-fifty. :wine_glass:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve had Wagyu and Wagyu tartare at Seattleā€™s ā€˜bestā€™ restaurant. And very nice it was too - but they donā€™t stick that much of a surcharge on the price - I think itā€™s $20 on top of the standard prix fixe.

$126 sounds nuts (and yeah, it sounds like this menu is even more misleading than calling it Wagyu). But then Iā€™d never willingly go to Atlantic City anyway. Sounds like Vegas but worse (and dying) from what Iā€™ve read recently :smile:

Do you remember that time they sold a sandwich of the stuff at Selfridges?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4894952.stm

To get back on topic - one bottle of wine between 10?

1 Like