Retro-style LED light bulbs

Don’t worry, I would never buy them at that price, and I said I would check the color out in a store first. I did check the CRI. A CRI of 85-90 is still a “good” CRI, so these aren’t terrible. I realize they aren’t a “true spectrum” representation. I have really, really sensitive eyes - and it’s the blues that hurt the most. These bulbs may just be more comfortable for me first thing in the morning.

There’s really one main reason to keep color “natural” in a bathroom. It’s because you should look like you will when you go outside. I don’t often wear makeup, but when I do, I already use a lighted mirror to apply it.

Thanks for looking out for me!

1 Like

You might want to steer clear of LEDs if you have issues with the blue spectrum. All “white” LEDs start as “royal blue” and then excite phosphors with the UV spectrum to balance out the visible spectrum. So they lean heavily in the blue/yellow as a result, especially in comparison to traditional incandescents (still available at rock bottom prices for 40 watters!).

Personally, I’m still not sold on them and don’t have any in the house. There are one or two from Philips and Cree that I think have promise that I might shift into in another year or so, but the dimming still isn’t there yet. Maybe 2017? Tough to say.

1 Like

I already have some in my living room and bedroom for use in the ceiling fans. Honestly, I’ve had no problem with them, and because they run cool, my fan isn’t doing competing work with the light source.

The ones in the fans are natural whites and really are too white for me to look directly at. I typically need only two bulbs running for the room to be well-lit. Both fans have frosted shades. I’m interested in these bulbs because I want to know if they’re a problem fully exposed. The bathroom fixture has no shade at all!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.