RIAA to blame for impoverishment of artists it's using as human shield in anti-streaming lobbying

Trolling comment? Pot meet kettle. So you’re not only an expert on the music industry but farms as well? Gee, is there anything you’re not an expert on. If I cared enough I’d go out for the day and take shots of all these farm mansions around where I live and post them just to prove a point. These are million dollar homes. Not being built and lived in by city folk moving to the country, but still as active farms. Multi-level 4 car - or rather truck - garages, pools, etc. Many of my friends around here are the tradesmen who build them. So I actually know what’s going on right now, and not 30 years ago when your family was living on a farm. Maybe they were just bad farmers which is why they don’t have a farm anymore. But to cry poverty because that was your experience is entirely part of the problem I was speaking of. A lot of farmers belong to co-ops and collude on prices. Ever wonder why something like maple syrup is so expensive? It’s not like there’s a shortage of the stuff. Pork? Why is bacon so expensive when there’s a GLUT of excess pigs and pig farmers in North America? That’s easy enough to find with a little research. But no, far easier to believe that all these farmers are just poor working stiffs being kept down by ‘The Man’, right?

And the article you cited shows that those who bothered to respond to that survey - and one survey isn’t an accurate reflection of the industry - shows they average $55K per year and that the “vast majority” of musicians are middle-class earners. Not too shabby for doing something you love to do in the first place. Hardly the abject poverty you claim. I know a lot of musicians and they’re either professionals or hobbyists. And the hobbyists have fun and make a few bucks here and there as it should be, and the professionals make pretty good livings. That isn’t to say they couldn’t be doing better getting rid of current models and replacing it with something better. Yet, if they don’t care enough to do something about it then it’s really there problem isn’t it? I got sick of being treated like wage-slave cattle so I went into business for myself. The money is better and I don’t have to deal with that corporate BS anymore. I may not get rich, but at least I’m not beholden to anyone.

1 Like