Rules for Regulars

Lol, @slybevel asked me the same thing before posting the first one. I said leave it up, wait and see if it gets hurtful. But I think it’s right to trust the BBS.

4 Likes

Don’t you mean sorey?

3 Likes

There’s a job for you at SETI with that kind of go-get-em attitude!

2 Likes

The cap on read requirements to reach TL3 is now in and deployed here:

You may see a few more new regulars that couldn’t quite reach the previous, dynamically scaled read requirement levels (see my quote above).

I suggest this “loveable, maddening, required” stuff be split out into a different topic, please.

8 Likes

And “tl3 time period” is what you called “interval” above, viz. 100 days?

Last 100 days. Yep. That has not changed.

2 Likes

I realize this topic has shifted mainly to what constitutes a regular, but I have an idea for a non-disruptive but potentially discussion enhancing perk for Regulars that I just pulled out of my ass: Golden likes.

Sometimes you love something so much that you want to like it twice. I propose you should get a max of ten and have to be a regular. I think it would be fun. I have a feeling this is not an uncontroversial proposal.

ETA: Ten a week. (Sorry @Mindysan33.)

11 Likes

Wait… why are you apologizing to me?

And FWIW, I second this idea! Although are the Golden likes separate or rolled into our already expanded likes?

3 Likes

I dunno, I feel like you’re always complaining about running out of likes.

Golden likes, in my conception of them, are a completely separate stat, that will probably carry it’s own badges. They show up in the reply toolbar (or whatever @codinghorror calls it) as a seperate symbol.

This is my rationale for the system: Likes are abundant. Despite some people running out of them, I feel this is the exception, and not the rule. @codinghorror has written on his blog more than a few times about the importance of “gamifying” the commenting process to encourage great discussion. With likes as they are currently conceived, I think a lot of them go to rewarding GIF copypasta (and as an avid user of GIF copypasta, I’m not objecting to the practice.) I want to see a more contemplative, more “elite” like system that is designed to reward comments that really make you stop and think. I think that users who have them (Regulars) will start to think about what comments deserve this reward, and users who want them will strive to make thoughtful, well-considered, and intelligent commentary.

Hell, the more I think about it, the more I’d want golden likes to be especially rare. Everytime I comment I revise my proposal for the number of golden likes down and now I’m thinking maybe five a week or ten a month. Also, I think it’s a nice perk for Regulars who don’t necessarily feel the need to change topic titles, and don’t consider it much of a perk.

6 Likes

Only accidentally. :wink:

1 Like

We would all be called Boaty McBoatface before long.

9 Likes

And yet @anon50609448 and @milliefink still aren’t regulars here, for all that they contribute.

12 Likes

As Jeff keeps pointing out, it’s the reading that holds us back.

3 Likes

nor @Donald_Petersen

4 Likes

He has been, then he slacked off doing work of something else silly.

9 Likes

The balance is still wrong. There are ‘regulars’ here with < 100 posts made, and hardly any likes given, but a large read post count.

That’s not a ‘regular’, that’s a ‘lurker’ (maybe a new badge for a massive read:write imbalance?)

(Hi, @hotel!)

9 Likes

Transubstantiated and unsubstantiated

8 Likes

It’s true… I am. But also @chgoliz… In fact, I need to wait 3 hours before i can like your comment! :wink:

But I like your concept of golden likes here… and now we just got a huge new influx of regulars, as @codinghorror changed the rules for regular status… Having something like this seems more attractive perhaps? I dunno! It seems like a good idea to me, though.

6 Likes

I run out of likes virtually every day, and griped about it a lot for a while, but now have just accepted that the like system is going to be permanently broken and punitive to some users, so I only complain a bit at the permanently broken, punitive, poorly designed anti-feature of the like limit.

7 Likes

Maybe I should incorporate more fiber into my diet?

10 Likes