Rules for Regulars

Almost always, but not always. In general “read more” is good advice… for this… and life in general.

3 Likes

Necessary, but not sufficient.

(also, y’know, I’ve read more here than anyone except that nut, @SlyBevel)

4 Likes

I think that @milliefink and @anon50609448 are both really close to being Regulars in terms of replies read, but they’re too low in terms of topics read.

Except for @slybevel’s absurd numbers, it looks like there were ~2.6k topics to read over the past 90 days (the Regular period is 100 days, but we can’t see that).

If you read 25% of that, that would be ~650 topics - Millie’s read 550, and Humbabella’s only read 280.

Other than that, it looks like both are over or almost over the top in terms of replies read.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. I must as ‘reader’, you know.
But maybe there is a small window to give some ‘long time regulars’ (probably that’s not that difficult to measure) an opportunity to vote for some other (non, but actually) regulars, with very good comments and posts to the community a ‘vote up’. Like for @anon50609448 and @milliefink. If they want to, thats important.

Because, I really do feel, although I’m a regular. It’s only due reading, not because I’m so good in or to the community. Hanging into a bad SAD and not coming out of it, I’m really not adding good comments or writing building reactions etc. In contrary to these names or other mentioned.

7 Likes

14 Likes

For the record, the like limit is why I read less. I know if I chug along I’ll over-like too soon, then experience the like limit punch-in-the face dialog.

9 Likes

Fair point; perhaps every (n) posts you read, where (n) is a fairly large number, you get more likes? Perhaps +5 for every 100 read?

The only thing I don’t “like” about this is that determining how many likes you “have” becomes frustratingly complicated.

Of course this would just lead to complaints that “I need to like more than 5 things for every hundred posts” which is back to the old fundamental disconnect: if everything is worth a like, then what’s the value of it again?

6 Likes

That’s a thing I also can agree with. Not everything posted needs or warrant a like, or should. Tricky balance, a lot over here is good, likable, but is it because the existing ‘rules’ and build up community?

2 Likes

I’d just double the current number.

Facebook has a like limit, but it’s unobtrusive. Not sure if Twitter does, but it doesn’t matter for the model. Things that are like-worthy will bubble up because most users aren’t like-crazy. Even the chronic likers like me, @tropo, @Stynx, @milliefink, @chgoliz and the other people don’t hit the red heart for all that much. I know the use case that punishes me is liking replies to effective say, “I read this, like your point, don’t want to flood thread with ‘yeah, true’/‘I agree’/etc. noise,” mixed with liking funny/insightful/interesting/happy-agreement posts.

5 Likes

Indeed, avoiding chat. Ironically that is.

5 Likes

I thought that was the main point of having likes in the first place?

Maybe unlimited ‘acknowledgements’ alongside limited ‘likes’?

Or just double it. Simple, would solve the user aggravation, and would still limit a theoretical like glut.

We are both trans and uns -friendly, here.

7 Likes

ping @daneel for the original quote

What if you got one more like for every day you were active on the BBS?

That is, after an initial number of likes, it would grow if you were active (however that is defined).

So new sock can’t come in and like-dump over their controlling feet.

8 Likes

Serious question: how often do NON-regulars run out of likes? I can only recall one user (and that person is now a Regular, with the new relaxed rules) complaining of running out of likes. Could the answer be as simple as adjusting the TL multipliers?

4 Likes

Or maybe we are just crankier about running out than most users?
I kinda take it as the BBS saying hey maybe you might wanna to see the blue ceiling with the bright yellow light for awhile

8 Likes

Well, I did run out of likes a few times in the last few weeks, but usually after I was away from a thread for a while and burned through my likes while catching up. But then, with the rule change, I just hit Regular, so… :shrugs:

2 Likes

I try not to vent my frustration. As @nemomen wrote a couple of posts back, if I’m out of likes I tend to skip reading for a period of time. I feel uncomfortable commenting positively and adding more to another’s post, and then not giving a like.

3 Likes

As a matter of fact, that was you I was talking about! :wink:

2 Likes