Satanists offer "good taste" monument to complement Oklahoma Capitol's Ten Commandments monument

[Permalink]

donated by Broken Arrow Republican Rep. Mike Ritze

Wasnā€™t that a shitty movie?

3 Likes

Hail Eris! I see that she is busy in OKā€¦

7 Likes

From the Al Jazeera article about this:
ā€œRep. Bobby Cleveland, R-Slaughterville ā€“ one of the Republican lawmakers behind an ongoing push to build a chapel in the Capitol ā€“ hung up when he received an interview request on the Satanistsā€™ proposal from Al Jazeera.ā€

You canā€™t make this shit up.

15 Likes

The American Taliban donā€™t like to be associated with their international competition, no matter how tenuous the connection may be.

5 Likes

As a liberal Episcopalian, I wouldnā€™t support an actual Satanic monument on state grounds*, but I sure do support the point that these guys are making, and if they have to go as far as installing an actual statue to make it, than so be it.

*I also wouldnā€™t support a state-endorsed statue of either Mickey Mouse or Ayn Rand, for pretty much the same reasons.

12 Likes

The point is that there is a statue of the 10 commandments there. I donā€™t think there should be either a satanic monument or a christian one there, but if they allow one, failing to allow the other is clearly establishment of religion.

17 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s my point as well. There shouldnā€™t be any religious monuments there, but if threatening to install (or, if necessary, actually installing) a Satanic monument is what it takes to get the 10 Commandments removed, then so be it.

15 Likes

Heh heh heh. Heā€™s probably still holed up in his doomsday bunker even now.

That She is. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d say thatā€™s unfair to Al Jazeera.

4 Likes

Sorry dude. I missed that. My bad.

2 Likes

Assuming thereā€™s no law that requires it to be in ā€œgood tasteā€ (whatever that means), I suggest they attempt to establish a monument that is in the worst taste possible, just because.

4 Likes

Donā€™t forget the Pastafarians!

4 Likes

Iā€™m more offended at ā€˜this is a faith based nationā€™ than the satanist trolling.

This is a nation founded with the concept of freedom of faith with no state sponsored or favored religion.

10 Likes

The comments at the original article are surprising.

lick-able statue?

1 Like

Rule 34.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Rep. Sears who said ā€œthis is a faith-based nationā€ gets that the Satanists have faith also, and that heā€™s advocating establishing his faith over theirs, in direct violation of the First Amendment.

And as someone with Evangelical and Quaker backgrounds, I really donā€™t like it when the government tries to take Godā€™s name in vain by using the 10 Commandments to try to boost its own ego; itā€™s rather clearly violating the faith that he says the nation is based on by doing so.

5 Likes

I absolutely agree, but that means nothing in a court of law.

Iā€™ve lived in a small country town that was quite far from the Bible Belt, and yet establishment of religion is alive and well there. A minister offers prayers at commencement, and the high school chorus has a few hymns in their repertoire, and if anybody doesnā€™t like it, a little social pressure usually solves that problem. Theyā€™re really nice people who never hurt anybody like themselves, and never meet anybody who isnā€™t.

8 Likes