Saturday morning TV cartoon schedules from the 1980s

[Permalink]

:: sigh:: I remember the fall of 81 well. Godzilla replaced by the fucking smurfs. 7 year old me cried that day

4 Likes

Were the Smurfs really all that worse than Gadzookie?

1 Like

Am I the only one that hated the cross-over episodes? Fred and Barney Meet the Shmoo?? WTF??

1 Like

That Mitchell and Web Look had a terrific Scooby Doo spoof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXMJP1J-3Y

5 Likes

I’d love to see one of these schedules from the ’60s.

And I had no idea that there weren’t Saturday morning cartoons any more… that’s tragic!

4 Likes

And there was a time when every local station had some sort of kids’ program. That’s where I was introduced to the Max Fleischer era of animation. And later in the day, you could count on a classic monster or sci-fi movie.

4 Likes

“If you spent the 80s eating sugarbombs and watching badly animated 22-minute toy ads disguised as cartoons, here is your Proustian madeline.”

I did do that, but I should have been studying for college finals or getting to work on time.

2 Likes

Not sure I understand why the '80s are so special. The early '60s to early '70s were the undisputed Golden Age of Saturday morning cartoons. Even the commercials are legendary.

3 Likes

At firat glance, looks to be a lot missing that I remember from the 80s. Maybe American kids were deprived…

No Transformers, no Star Fleet, no Terrahawks, no Centurions, no Mysterious Cities of Gold, no Dogtanian and the 3 Muskehounds, no Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, no Ulysses 31?

But you did have the horrible ‘Real’ Ghostbusters. Always hated that show.

2 Likes

I have that problem* too. Ulysses 31 after a couple of buckets was a brilliant watch. :smiley:

*What’s green and gets you pissed for an entire fortnight? A Giro!

2 Likes

I guess you don’t need Saturday morning cartoons when you have 10 cable channels dedicated to children 24-7. Not to mention DVRs, video-on-demand and streaming content

1 Like

or a western matinee or a kung-fu matinee, filling dead air with cheap movies is what made TV great back in the day, IMO.

I saw the Seven deadly Sins like 5 times in 2 years in the early 80s

7 Likes

Absolutely! I was lucky enough to see a bunch of weird and wonderful stuff that I never would have otherwise sought out.

2 Likes

I grew up watching Tom Hatten’s The Popeye Show and Family Film Festival on KTLA. Add in some Merrie Melodies and you’ve got weekend mornings in our house.

4 Likes

Thundarr The Barbarian. Sure Ookla The Mok was a cheap ripoff of Chewbacca, but it was about a bizarre world that arises after most of humanity is wiped out. There’s something admirable about a kids’ Saturday morning cartoon being so dark. I remember my cigar-chewing Uncle Vaclav coming into the den and saying to me, “You like this show? Me too.”

7 Likes

I hated finishing my morning chores, turning on Channel 5, and finding…Candlepin Bowling.

4 Likes

Most of the toons you mentioned were weekday afternoon shows and not shown on Saturday mornings in the US.

2 Likes

I don’t remember half of those. Wonder what channels those are.

I loved Thundarr! “Ookla Ariele, Ride hard!” “Lords of Light!”
Great show!

2 Likes