Scythe vs. Weedwhacker

[Permalink]

You see ‘em waxin’ up their sickles
They’re on the manor to stay
Everybody’s going feudal
Serfdom USA!

14 Likes

We used to have a scythe when my parents lived in the country. Such an elegant and effective tool for clearing high grass and weeds. Not surprised this guy did so well in competition.

Incidentally, Grim Reaper aside, I remember thinking at the time how the thing would be an abysmally awkward to try and use as a weapon.

1 Like

A lawn mower would be more comfortable. But if you are talking volume then wouldn’t a thresher… or combine or whatever it’s called, would be much faster. If we’re talking about efficiency vs minimizing the carbon footprint I’d go with the scythe

Someone’s been watching Poldark!

2 Likes

Of course, one of those guys is FAR more likely than the other to keep up that pace all day!

6 Likes

yeah, but does the weed whacker make a cool swishing noise as you swing it around all willy nilly?

1 Like

Well done, good old Bill Door.

12 Likes

I had a similar experience. Did your folks make you wear the black “safety” cloak and hood when you used it?

18 Likes

A tool from a more civilized age.

14 Likes

Never mind a day, I’d be surprised if he could keep that up for an hour. The key to any physical activity, whether running or heavy manual labor, is pacing. He’s running a sprint vs an all day marathon. But he’s sure got great technique.

I always chose the scythe over the weed-whacker… I got a good workout, it did a much cleaner job, the grass was much easier to pick up afterwards, etc. Occasionally would have similar races against friends with a similar outcome.

4 Likes

My Dad used to cut the grass with a scythe. He tells the story of coming suddenly across a well-hidden nest of baby birds, necks outstretched, and not being able to check his swing in time. Chopped all of their little heads off just like that!

He would work just like that guy in the video, no shirt, but with a metal whetstone holder on his belt. He cut (npi) quite a striking figure.

7 Likes

Is it just safety considerations that make the weed-whacking bit of a weed-whacker so small? The hand held ones seem to top out at around 18 inches in diameter(of the cutting area) and the two-wheeled ones in the low 20s.

With a bit of reckless disregard for the operator’s ankles, shouldn’t it be possible to get a substantially greater cutting diameter, especially if you extended the shaft and used the engine as a counterweight?

2 Likes

You ask your local blacksmith to bend the base of the blade by 90 degrees. It’s much stabbier that way.

1 Like

Your post made me think of flail cutters, which are a cross between a lawnmower and a weed whacker with a wide cutting area. So I had a look for them on them on the net.
And I found this:

Primary colour scheme, Fisher-Price school of design, stupidly oversized spiky wheels… just paint some flames up the side and we’re good to go.

18 Likes

I’m sure that this guy would be willing to give it a try:

5 Likes

I don’t know, consider the number of people required and the carbon footprint the extra food they would need to consume to make up for the added calories burned would cost.

That guy looks pretty much exactly like I would expect a British Scythe Champion to look.

6 Likes

That was spectacular. Did you see how he almost clipped himself at 2:30? I had a neighbor just like this guy as a kid. He used to walk his dog with a motorcycle, and always had illegal fireworks for the 4th.

4 Likes