Sexist baby clothes show how early it begins

[Permalink]

1 Like

This is pretty dreadful. That said, the best thing about infant clothes is that they are completely unisex, so concerned parents should totally buy both their daughters and their sons super costumes. It gets much harder as they get older.

8 Likes

This is an another example of great humorous social commentary and satire taken as literal by the raging Internet.

5 Likes

'splain, please?

Do you mean its a satirical shoop?

Is the “raging internet” this-here forum?

3 Likes

I sort of see this kind of humor being consumed more by women than men. I can’t speak for every man on the planet but for sake of argument from a non offended point of view I still wouldn’t find the joke very funny in the first place - seems like its geared toward women, not at them (like see, even your baby relates to your problems ha ha).

I did see a more man humor targeted toddler shirt at a truck stop once that said “I’m just like mommy, I won’t shut up” which for me might be the most fucked up thing you could dress a child in I’ve witnessed thus far.

5 Likes

Maybe you are the Raging Internet. Maybe I am the Raging Internet! Woah.

1 Like

7 Likes

Does he seriously use his pre-verbal infants as billboards for his “humorous social commentary and satire”?

Yes, people absolutely user their kids and babies to let every one know how cool/funny/smart/into something they are.

Babies care about two things with clothes - am I warm? Ok. Am I too warm? Take it off.

But people dress them in everything from pot leaves and Bob Marley, to KISS and Star Wars to inappropriate humor to show how cool/rocking/bad ass they still are. Really - we’re hip still! Look at our kid! We have a collective amount of 4 hours of sleep between the two of us in the last 2 days - just like you! (granted yours was from the all day Rave) No one will ever see us in a social situation in the next 4 years, but we are still with it and relevant!

5 Likes

As the owner of a baby, the gendering we still do at this early age is pretty amazing, really. Take the common white onesie. The boy’s version will be “just” a onesie. The girl’s version will have a frilly collar. This is even more apparent when you’re looking for weather-appropriate attire – I was looking for a onesie with shoulder straps so that my little guy’s body would be covered, but his shoulders exposed, because it was hot late last summer. All the boys outfits were t-shirt style with little sleeves. On the girl side of things, lots of “spaghetti strap” onesies, so he wore “girls clothes.”

I’d love to get him a wider variety of clothes, but if it’s “girls” it’s fringed, frilly, has a skirt attached, or has sparkles on it. I just want it to be purple, or teal! What’s worse, I’m “stuck” with the other end of the spectrum – lots of clothes with construction-themed graphics?!

My wife and I generally dress him in the blandest, least interesting clothes simply because we find most baby clothes pretty ridiculous. He just wants his body covered with something comfortable.

9 Likes

Sure, but I think there’s a big difference between putting your kid in a Star Trek onesie and putting them in one that’s supposed to say “Look at the foolish social constructs we have devised around gender! See how I subvert them by making it look as if my infant is concerned with unrealistic beauty standards!”

5 Likes

Why not Zoidberg?

12 Likes

Babies don’t like Futurama. You like Futurama. You’re imposing aesthetic taste upon your baby, who probably cares more about whether the thing’s comfortable than anything else.

Presumably, the same can be said of someone who buys a “I hate my thighs” onesie.

Where it makes a difference, of course, is when the novelty sexism is the only thing that’s available. Does that happen a lot?

2 Likes

I was looking for a bib for the baby the other day, and everything was in the laundry except one that had pink and brown circles. “You can’t use that for him, it’s a girl’s bib.” Turns out there was another clean one on the counter; but for dinner I said “Looks like he’s getting the girl’s bib” and not a word of protest was uttered.

NB: the babby thoroughly enjoyed both meals and did not seem offended by his attire.

My thoughts more go to older girls who see the baby in the “I hate my thighs” onesie, or the baby herself when she’s older and sees it. “Why did it say that?”

6 Likes

Because he is awful and you should feel bad for even suggesting it.

2 Likes

The amount of times I am told my daughter is wearing boys clothes… it’s depressing. Even now she might wear a shirt with a giraffe that is neon colored with dark blue coloring to the shirt and because it’s not a “girl color” it is a boy shirt and girls should not be wearing them despite nothing about the shirt giving it a gender.

7 Likes

Where does this fall in the things babies like and sexism spectrum? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I don’t see a big difference. It is both a reflection of the parents, though one is perhaps more “serious” than the other.

I see it as a snarky, funny, social commentary. It is absurd that a baby, who doesn’t even have the concept of self just yet, would be concerned about it’s thighs.

Though really, it is absurd anyone is upset over their thighs.

Though to be fair, I hate my left thigh. But it’s full of tumors so… sort of a special case.

It falls more on the tasteless spectrum?

We have one “Babe Magnet” shirt that came as a gift. My wife was looking at buying a “Mommy’s Little Hunk” item at Carter’s, and I - the killjoy - asked her how she would feel about something like “Daddy’s Little Sexpot” for out daughter. And we never bought it.

Did the Victorians do this to us, the Edwardians, or when?

Yes, but this is the world we live in. It’s absurd to sexualize something like breasts – but we do. That’s our world. We can rage against the absurdity, but drop a rock on our feet and refute it thus.

Uh. anyway.

How about a baby’s onesie that says “I hate the size of my boobs” or “I don’t need to wax down below”?

3 Likes

Really, the kid’s just going to poop on it anyway. So I was wrong to say babies are incapable of social commentary. :wink:

(PS sorry to hear about your thigh :frowning: )

1 Like