Sheriff says rape kits are irrelevant because most rape accusations are false

One would hope so. Really, one would hope that what were once exceptions were the new rule and that police engaged in evidence-based policing, but apparently that’s too much to hope for.

3 Likes

Out of likes today so here are some improvised super-bonus-likes!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

And . . . I believe it’s an advocacy job more than a hope job.

3 Likes

That hasn’t been my experience. And remember that serial perpetrators injure multiple victims. Multiple kits may include pattern evidence relevant to the same perpetrator, e.g. dna, fibers, etc.

Here are some bonus likes because I’m out of regular likes.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Yes, yes. Absolutely. And for any rape victim, going through the rape kit process is important, even if they know their attacker. But the primary purpose of the “kit” is to collect evidence to identify an attacker, and it would be a shame to mislead anyone to think that the kit is somehow capable of distinguishing, on its own, between consensual sex and rape.

You may have experience as a prosecutor using rape kit and medical evidence to prove cases of rape even where the attacker is known, and I yield to your superior knowledge in that. But I do have experience from the other side, and I’ve seen rape kit evidence minimized because claims of consensual sex often offer the excuse of “rough sex” as the cause of any injuries that are evident at the victim’s medical exam. Most of the value of the rape kit in cases where the assailant is known, IMO, is from the woman actually going through the process and thereby going “on record” as early as possible as having been raped.

1 Like

It’s most useful to follow evidence where it leads with minimal preconceptions.

And forensic exams can sometimes independently establish a lack of consent.

For example, sufficient evidence of intoxication from the exam may settle the consent question regardless of any other evidence.

And fact-finders are not legally prohibited from reaching that conclusion.

There’s no jury instruction that the kit alone is insufficient to establish absence of consent.

3 Likes

I’m 99% sure that was a repeat! I’d heard it before but I did catch it on the weekend and remember the horrificness!

1 Like

Huh. You did a thing there, and BoingBoing rewarded you for it.

What the insane, sociopathic FUCK.

Wait… am I allowed to curse in this forum?

(I didn’t see anything about it when I briefly skimmed the terms…)

9 Likes

as long as it is appropriate we don’t really care that much…
and in this case it is fucking appropriate… :smile:

9 Likes

Good to know; thanks.

:grin:

I’ve been censored on other sites due to my, ah… “colorful” way of expressing myself, especially when confronted with fuckery of this epic magnitude.

The immense stupidity and just total lack of basic empathy is just mind boggling to me…

8 Likes

That’s exactly what is so disheartening, and so mortifying.

:anguished:

2 Likes

We’d be disappointed if you didn’t!

7 Likes

If I said:

@japhroaig you are a fucking know it all, waist of space, tweed wearing sociopath

It may raise a few eyebrows (since it is half true)

If I said:

@japhroaig, you are a literal fucking monster in the kitchen, send me scones nao

Noone would blink an eye.

Perjoritives are largely off limits unless they are certral to a point. But mostly it is personal attacks that aren’t substantive that get flagged.

A couple months ago I started a thread for more creative insults and cirse words. I should revive it.

7 Likes

Also as you actually seem cool I would like to without sarcasm say welcome to the loony bin bbs! Have fun with some other topics and feel free to help us do some counting or just ask a few questions.

5 Likes

A couple months ago I started a thread for more creative insults and cirse words. I should revive it.

Or switch it to focus on cerise words.

6 Likes

In retrospect, given the specific topic of this post, it seems like we should go back and flag every post that didn’t curse at least once.

Fuck!

12 Likes

Sorry, I heard @japhroaig was sending out scones? Where do I sign up?

7 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.