Slack: team communications tool that works, beautifully

How fitting that a dragon is draconian.

At this juncture Iā€™d just like to point out that ā€œdraconian enforcementā€ is literally in our forum terms of service.

9 Likes

I set the group up this morning and it was really easy to do. The integration with a dozen other web services is pretty cool, too (Dropbox and Google Drive have most of our other documents). Maybe this will help cut down on the 30+ emails all copied to the same people every day for my team.
Thanks for pointing me there.

I like the concept, but as the quote says, ā€˜if itā€™s free then youā€™re the productā€™. No matter how fabulous it is, I think Iā€™ll wait until I hear how they plan to stay in business with a free product, and see if that both seems like a sensible enough long term plan that I donā€™t have to worry that theyā€™ll vaporize, and that I donā€™t find their business plan so intrusive or expoitative that I donā€™t want to have my communications go through them. Besides, if it really is such a great approach and takes off, someone will probably do an open source version in the next couple of years that you can run on your own server.

I went to the website because this looks like a solution to my problem, but you have to give your email address to even click around and see what itā€™s about. It might be the solution to my problem, but Iā€™ll never know because I hate giving my email addy out before I get a chance to really look at a product.

ETA: Nevermind. My tiny screen was the problem. I can scroll down and see whatā€™s up after all. I just couldnā€™t sort it out on the teeny tiny screen Iā€™m on. User error.

The assumption I made was that someone forgot to turn on the ā€œsponsored postā€ checkbox when posting it. This post is:

(a) glowing review
(b) of a web-2.0-ish software product
Ā© with an accompanying bland picture
(d) from a contributor most have never heard of before

I understand youā€™re unhappy at accusations of malicious intent, but you donā€™t see how this could look like paid advertising? (In other words: Iā€™m surprised youā€™re surprised that this would need explanation.)

2 Likes

The review says ā€œwe somehow needed something on top of/instead of [ā€¦] Skype,ā€ but I donā€™t see any mention of voice or video communication.

Does Slack support voice chat? Video chat? Screensharing? Multi-person voice/video meetings?

Iā€™m having trouble seeing how this is better than hipchat, which works pretty well for us. Whatā€™s great about it that makes it worth switching?

I havenā€™t used Hipchat, so I donā€™t know what it does better, but Iā€™ll second the glowing review. A new team member suggested Slack, and we took to it immediately. The Mac app and iOS app are both awesome - simple & lightweight. Weā€™ve had one or two small outages, but they communicated well around it and they were short-lived.

To the person who wondered at the price, it is NOT free - they have a couple of pricing plans, and weā€™re going to end up paying $8/user/month. So itā€™s actually more expensive than our email (free google apps plan), but we definitely think itā€™s worth it.

Looked at it. The website isnā€™t very informative, seems to value form over function.

Hosted isnā€™t ideal for a company that prefers to keep everything in house (ie discusses secret stuff), but ok. Native clients for iOS, Android and OSX. Huh? Are there enough companies out there with just OSX users to be not worth making other clients. That pretty much makes this a non-starter for us. I was hoping I could the portion of the company still using skype to switch to something less stupid (the other half is using an internal jabber server).

Meetings/conferences are actually pretty time-wasting, particularly for every day and ongoing stuff. Why should we expect people to interrupt their work flow for meetings five times a day when a quick conversation online would be far more efficient?

I really hope youā€™re not a manager, particularly a manager who likes to have lost of pointless meetingsā€¦

Try clicking on the contributorā€™s name, and maybe follow a link or two from there.

Most of us here know who Alice is.

Edit: 1066 rulez OK!

For caitifty1 and others worried about the freeness of this product, there is actually a paid product here. It is well hidden, but I managed to find the page with pricing:

The free account has limited storage and search facilities, with paid accounts getting more storage space and extra features.

Perhaps they should make it more clear up front that this exists to assuage fears of ā€˜the customer is the productā€™ and ā€˜this is not monetised and will go out of business when the VC money runs outā€™.

1 Like

People being cynical about this stuff seems fairly natural to me, given how websites of all sorts, even fairly ā€œrespectableā€ ones, have participated in a ā€œrace to the bottomā€ in finding sleazy ways of trying to monetize the site.

This looks like a nice autodoc tool for replacement of phone infodump office kerchunks. IRC is another way of likening itā€¦I think Iā€™d have to use some Mac OS X IRC with a very very nice macro toolset (gotta swat those out of office panic bootnotes.) Certainly an image than can be embiggened seems decent so itā€™s a little more clear what kind of XSSL one has to rumble with in the free phone memory at hand, but at least the phone-sized screenshots on the slack.com Tour (4 pages) are full size.
The tour hasnā€™t engulfed CRM and supplychain handling, but -there-, they can monetize the verticals firewall (or whatever your cloud calls that.)

It would be better if they offered a self-hosted solution for those of us who value our privacy.

If there was an open source version of this that I could host and run, I certainly would. Iā€™d also try to get my job to use it instead of yammer. That said, they arenā€™t going to replace a known, paid, service (yammer) with an unknown, paid, service.

The old problem: Promising service but only hosted. This makes it useless for many companies, even if the service would be super cool.

Iā€™ve been using Slack for a while now. Iā€™m part of a small ops/dev team, most of whom are distributed. We moved from Skype chat to Slack and havenā€™t looked back. I always know when Iā€™ve picked something right for our team when my CTO just rattles his corporate card details into a billing interface without question.

And to be honest, if I had a platform like bb to try and pimp something I liked, Iā€™d do it too. Bit of a shame @doctorow had to respond as he did, but well played for calling out an asshat.

@albill, there probably wonā€™t be an open source version of Slack, but they are planning a Slack-in-a-Box turnkey solution at some point.

1 Like

Unfortunately, if it isnā€™t open source, Iā€™m unlikely to deploy it.