Some favorite TV theme songs

Its not my fault you weren’t a kid growing up in the 80’s in Mexico for this one:

But maybe you caught this one instead, loved that show, actually thought I could grow up to be a stuntman! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If I wanted to find more funk/soul music like this, is Parliament of Funk the best place to start?

1 Like

And the series The Prisoner was sort of a finale to…

3 Likes

Ulysses 31 wins.

Sorry (not sorry) but this is a long post of things I don’t think have been posted yet.

Lesser known is the football themed adventure show The Hurricanes

Couldn’t find just the intro for this one so you’ll just have to watch all of season 1 and 2

I was gonna put the theme for “As Time Goes By” but there must be some tightly gripped knuckles on the rights to that old tune, the episode is there but the music sure aint.

I forgot this one existed, the only bit I rememeber was Neil Buchanan being a french artist to classical music.

See how radical and gnarly the 90s were;

I want to respond directly to about 20 comments but instead you’ll have to put up with a plus on that heart shaped symbol that means I like you but I don’t love you.

9 Likes

This is for you

Don’t forget gerry Anderson’s UFO!

Or The Ballad of Paladin from Have Gun Will Travel.

3 Likes
1 Like

Came here for this, etc. etc.

I sometimes wonder would I love this song so much if the show it adorns hadn’t scraped such giddy heights… suppose it was on something like Mrs. Brown’s Boys, for example - I’d probably loathe it…

ETA: Fr. Ted’s an interesting case. Wonderful show, up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers, but the genius of the comedy fails to elevate the thoroughly indifferent theme music, for me at least.

2 Likes

You made a fantastic start, to which I respectfully add:

Dad’s Army

and there should probably be at least one of the Blackadder variants:

10 Likes

Every geek my age who grew up in Poland will have loved this pop-science show, Sonda (Mike Vickers - “Visitation”):

But my favourite theme song would have to have been this one, from a show called “997” (same as “911” in the US) (Chase - “Cronus”):

2 Likes

Pinky and Orson W^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hthe Brain

7 Likes

Nobody’s mentioned Green Acres:

or The Beverly Hillbillies:

or Gilligan’s Island:

or F-Troop

I sense a pattern

10 Likes

Cause that is Lester Flat and Earl Scruggs.

2 Likes

Parliament/Funkadelic were both very long-lived bands that covered a lot of ground (basically they were the same band under two different names, who eventually just get referred to as “P-Funk.”) The earliest stuff from '69-70 is pretty raw, the later stuff from '75 on is slick and borderline disco. I would recommend starting with “America Eats Its Young.”

2 Likes

Objectively I know this was a terrible show, but I still liked it and the intro…

If you’re noticing a pattern, yes, I pretty much stopped watching TV after the 90’s.

And this thread wouldn’t be complete without Mark Snow haunting it…

7 Likes
2 Likes

IMO Songs of Love by the Divine Comedy is goddam beautiful and it totally sets the tone of the show.

My bride to be walked down the aisle to metallica on cellos but hand in hand we walked back that way to this version;

Neil Hannon of said band also did the incredible My Lovely Horse.
Ted;

Live;

2 Likes

This always sounded like a rewored 3-2-1 Contact theme to me:

2 Likes

Seeing the Father Ted intro reminded me to post the opening to Look Around You (Series 2) which is a terrific parody of 3-2-1 Contact.

3 Likes

Mark Snow has admitted that the X-Files theme has lyrics.
The X-Files is a show
With music by Mark Snow

3 Likes