Space history: 45 years ago today, Apollo 11 blasted off to put humans on the moon

[Permalink]

1 Like

I like to think that the U.S.A. is sort of the Leif Erikson of the moon- we made a go of it, but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth our while. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has difficulty accepting that we sent people there, assuming instead that the moon missions are part of a national mythology.
In future generations, the glory of Apollo 11 will be eclipsed by other countries who set up permanent settlements on the moon, conquering its natives and exploiting its resources. The random bits of junk left behind by the Apollo missions will be destroyed by the developments or dismissed as being planted by immigrants of American descent.

1 Like

Also on this day in history 1945 – Manhattan Project: the Atomic Age begins when the United States successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon near Alamogordo, New Mexico aka the Trinity nuclear test.

I think you need to pull your zoom back a little to fully appreciate the remarkable achievement made by that moon trip and the ripples of inspiration and innovation created by the journey.

This image alone was worth the trip. It was the first time everyone could see how utterly alone we are out here. I believe for many it was also a realization that we already have an amazing spaceship called earth.

And if you are chomping at the bit for a return to the moon please talk to Bill Stone.

5 Likes

…there was a Fire In The Sky:

Nobody’s posted this yet? From The Onion, I believe:

Apollo 11 Moon Landing (Uncensored Transmission)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.