Steven Gould's "Exo," a Jumper novel by way of Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2014/09/09/steven-goulds-exo-a-jum.html
Steven Gould’s 1993 YA novel Jumper was a spectacular success (even if the film “adaptation” stank on ice), and each of the (all-too-infrequent) sequels have raised both the stakes and the bar for a must-read series. But with Exo, published today, Gould takes his game into orbit – literally.

1 Like

No kindle edition. Dead trees, noooooooo!

Except on Amazon.ca. shakes fist at canucks

1 Like

Gould writes my favorite kind of YA fiction: suitable and accessible to teenaged readers, but with writing (both stylistically and in regard to plot, characters, etc) that’s mature- and a joy even for seasoned adults.

1 Like

I am in the UK - I would have bought it right now if available….

The previous book, Impulse, doesn’t seem to be available on Kindle in the UK either. Anyone have any idea why? I have the first two on Kindle and I’d love to continue with the series.

Definitely buying this, loved the previous books in the series.

But, since my to-read pile is already pretty high and I probably won’t get to it for a little while anyway, I may wait until October so I can bundle it with Ancillary Sword and get free shipping.

Kip didn’t build the space suit as a hobby in “Have Space Suit-Will Travel”. He won it as a prize for writing an essay. He wanted a trip to the moon I think but instead he got an obsolete but very functional spacesuit. Not meaning to quibble but that was one of my favorite childhood books.

It’s not available here in Australia either, so I just informed Amazon that I had re-located to a friend’s house in the US and BAM, the Kindle version appeared on amazon.com.

I just finished powering through it non-stop and am now remembering the dread I felt after doing the same with Impulse and realising that the sequel was a couple of years away.

I have to give this series a try…

I hope it’s not like Heinlein. “Have Spacesuit, Will Travel” wasn’t too bad as far as Heinlein novels go; in fact, it was quite an entertaining read.It only had the good guys committing one genocide and seriously considering another. Which is OK, because in Heinlein’s world, genocide might actually be the Right Thing To Do under some circumstances.

Thinking about the consequences of teleportation and non-conservation of momentum gives me fond memories of Vernor Vinge’s The Witling, where teleportation does conserve momentum…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.