Sticking a knife in a toaster

[Permalink]

Itā€™s even more mesmerizing with the sound on. These vine clips must really trigger my sample/loop-based brain circuits.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to decide if those blinds were originally that color or if they started out white and turned that greyish color after after a series of explosions in the kitchen. You just know this isnā€™t their first foray into ill-advised adventures.

1 Like

Not to be that guy, but ā€œFAAAAAAKEā€. Iā€™ve done this a few times, usually by accident (when I was young, I thought nothing of using a butter-knife to fish out a stubborn bagel). It hurts, but doesnā€™t explode.

2 Likes

Yeah um toasters donā€™t explode.

1 Like

All I wanted was my English muffin back.
Is that so wrong?

2 Likes

Gott say, something fishy. Who is holding a phone that impossibly steady while something explodes.

You got knocked the fuck out!

1 Like

Itā€™s the scale of the explosion that suggests itā€™s fake. Shorting out 110V AC with steel objects (which I have done several times) does cause some unpleasant small-scale popping as the steel is vaporized, and I could imagine that with some additional points of contact or other aggravating circumstances you could see something biggerā€¦ but not like this. If nothing else the circuit breakers would cut you off before the mains could dump this much energy. Maybe if you had some really big capacitors in line there somewhere?
Also, seeing him do this without goggles makes me cringe. Even if it was F/x thereā€™s no reason he shouldnā€™t be wearing some eye protection.

3 Likes

Any fool can see it is an Acme model XX-100 exploding toaster. The 200 would have been a better choice, IMO, though you really need full face shield.

13 Likes

Thatā€™s because itā€™s originally a Youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPoJtt3X5SA

Iā€™d call ā€˜Fakeā€™ too, but Iā€™ve no idea the current construction of toasters. A capacitor might go 'splodey like thatā€¦

1 Like

For some reason I thought these blokes were in the UK ā€“ where the ā€œmainsā€ are 220V. (After a quick search: it turns out almost everywhere except North America uses >>110V.)

1 Like

Their accent is urban middle class Australian or New Zealander. Most likely Australian, as a couple of them look like they are of Mediterranean descent. So the mains voltage is 230v.

Why the hell would a toaster need a capacitor?

donā€™t you know? toasters toast toast by sending 200,000v through the bread, needs quite a few caps to get that voltage.

4 Likes

Apparently there is a cap in modern toasters in series with a variable resistor; once itā€™s charged up it releases the electromagnet holding the sprung breadā€¦ shelfā€¦ thing down. Older toasters used a simple bi-metal strip which bent with heat. Still, itā€™s a pretty small cap.

But now Iā€™m pondering high-voltage insta-toastersā€¦

xcept gas toasters

2 Likes

Not that this would happen with a toaster, but an electrician said that when messing about with residential breaker boxes itā€™s important to cut the power because this sort of accident would result in a flash burn to the retina resulting in irreversible loss of vision.

Well, that explains it then. The XX-100s always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our behavioral inhibitors.

1 Like

Obviously a rigged toaster. The worst that should happen, is a few sparks and a blown fuse. Thatā€™s what fuses are for.