Stop-and-frisk as the most visible element of deep, violent official American racism

I always get a kick out of going to www.policeone.com and checking out the reactions of actual police officers to news reports. The general idea is that

1. No officer ever does anything wrong.
  2. If the public complain, they are just a bunch of pansies and whiners.
  3. Videos showing officers doing ANYTHING wrong is inconclusive, and the mainstream media is out to get them.
  4. All non-cops are POS. (ie pieces of shit)

It never ceases to amaze me how anti-gun control cops are - don’t they realize that some of those guns will be turned on them? The mind boggles.

4 Likes

If stop and frisk is ended, then they will probably start a community outreach program that features a stop-and-vigorously-hug citizens component…

6 Likes

Racial profiling is a plague in Europe aswell. In France, England and in my country, Germany. When I get off the train, officers often stop me. I demand to know the reason. Illegal immigration control. I have a slightly dark complexion. My dad jokes that I look like an israeli. Yeah, that’s certainly not his side of the family. He never gets molested by authorities either. I do, though, standing on a train platform between an african gentleman and a turk, both laughing at how I’m pestering the officers with questions on how they pick they prey. Actually, the statistic of successful arrestations for actual illegal immigration is also 3%, just like in the US. It’s laughable and sad. The other day, I saw a documentary of how an afro-german gets controlled almost every day on his way to school, on his way to the mall. I feel angry, sorry, ashamed and very helpless. Oh and in our country, the officers aren’t even polite. They just treat you rightaway like you had done something wrong. We really need to stand against this!

9 Likes

Thank you. Excellent point. I think many people would see “3%” and think that 3% of people stopped get convicted, and think “thems not bad odds.”

3 Likes

When I read this the other day, my first thought was that people on Wall Street in business suits are exactly the people that should be getting stopped and frisked.

11 Likes

Oh Jesus Fucking Christ. I did not get a kick out of that site at all

Here are some comments on news articles about the recent homeless man shot in New Mexico:

Having mental problems is no excuse for not following orders. I’ve arrested schizophrenics before who followed my orders to the letter. Boyd clearly intended to die that day.

Personally I believe this was a good shoot based solely upon the video. The same people condemning this and saying it was not justified have NEVER been in that situation…EVER. They cry about the needs etc of this man and his mental disorders, who needed to be in a hospital or like mental ward, not living off the land in the Arizona foothills.

This is what happens when you bring a knife to a gun fight. Cops = 1, Perp = 0

5 Likes

policeone.com sounds long overdue for a 4chan raid. It won’t solve anything, but the schadenfreude might be worth it.

8 Likes

It’s an echo chamber - no non-cops are allowed to post. Which makes it all the more disturbing.

7 Likes

From the New York State Office of the Attorney General Report:

In this report, stop-and-frisk data confirm that racial disparities documented in stops continue through arrest, disposition, and sentencing. This disparity is especially pronounced in marijuana arrests, in which white defendants charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession after a stop are nearly 50% more likely than blacks to receive an ACD, and thereby avoid a conviction.

ACD [adjournment in contemplation of dimissal) also known in some locales as an ACoD is a mechanism which allows for the postponement of a criminal case with the understanding that if the accused fulfills certain conditions, all charges will be dismissed.

3 Likes

Oooo, I like their handy tips:

Using stuffed animals to camouflage your surveillance operation

the picture that I got in my head:

This one sounds a bit more menacing:

Yet another use for duct tape on patrol Submitted by: Edward Warner NYPD, New York During my 25-year career I used to carry a long strip of duct tape wrapped around a tiny mag-lite flashlight. Whenever I had to go into an apartment building or multi-family dwelling ...
1 Like

Right … and “them’s not bad odds” especially if they’re not likely to be stop-and-frisked.

1 Like

Oh, come on. If they don’t want to get pulled over so much, they should just stop being so brown.

1 Like

How in the world is Stop and Frisk still a thing? This should have been clobbered ages ago by a fourth amendment appeal. Are they really that good at only targeting people who can’t afford lawyers?

When I first heard about this happening in NY, my thought was “Yet another stupid law that sounds great to some paranoid old white voters in a campaign ad, but is going to be overturned by the courts in 6-12 months”, yet here we are in 2014 and it’s still happening. Seriously, WTF.

5 Likes

So, yeah. Sorry Sam, I can’t like your post, even though I do like the sentiment you bring to it :frowning:

1 Like

You’d get plenty of coke busts.

2 Likes

Nope, the NYPD just doesn’t have any accountability for the payouts, so nothing changes:

The NYPD’s increased use of stop and frisk in the last few years has corresponded with costly litigation contesting the practice and also a significant rise in the number of tort claims filed against the Department, as recorded by the Comptroller. Between 2007 and 2012, the number of claims against the NYPD grew by 52%. Claims against the NYPD reached a historic high in 2012, with 9,570 claims filed. In 2009, for the first time in thirty years, the NYPD became the city agency with the highest dollar amount of settlements and judgments paid out, surpassing the Health and Hospitals Corporation (“HHC”). The Comptroller recommends that the NYPD and other city agencies at similarly high risk for claims be held financially accountable, as HHC now is. Currently, no money is debited from the NYPD’s budget to account for settlements and judgments against it.
6 Likes

Kudos to Christopher E Smith for posting this as a white man. Not only is he drawing attention to a problem that most white people turn away from as someone else’s problem, but white people are, sadly, more likely to listen to him on this racist problem than they are to a writer or other people who aren’t white.

2 Likes

no non-cops are allowed to post

Wow… I was thinking non-cop trollies might explain a lot of the insanity there. If that’s true, that really is disturbing. How do they verify that it’s real cops?

How? They’re the police! They just use the bro-net to verify.

ring ring, ring ring

‘Hey Bill, it’s Jerry here … Yeah, Martha’s fine thanks. How’re the kids? … Good. Say, listen. We got a PoliceOne request here from some guy named Joe Smith, says his number is Q123456. Can you do an ‘informal’ search on your department’s HR system to confirm this guy exists? … He does? … Oh, you know him? Is he a good sort, or one of those guys? … Good sort? Excellent. I’ll send him an approval email now. Cheers Bill … you have a good day too.’

Your tax dollars at work.

6 Likes

The difference between NYC and the Deep South is that in NYC they have to make Stop&Frisk an official program, as opposed to the South where they can just stop people and frisk them.

1 Like