Street Fighter: The Movie: The 20-year Postmortem

Okay, now do the Mortal Kombat one!

:smiley:

Local pronunciation often gets corrupted compared to the home country. Some of my aunts and uncles live in New Prague, which everybody in town pronounces as New Pray-guh.

Heh. Reminds me of the time when we German troopers asked a policeman if the road to Dubois was free.

1 Like

Mortal Kombat was actually a financial success in the States
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mortalkombat.htm

7th highest opening weekend of 1995! Wow! It was better than Street Fighter, but give Paul WS Anderson a franchise and he will make gold!

Also had that rad theme that is right up there with Queenā€™s Flash Gordon

And. Most importantly. I had a great time in Thailand.

:smiley:

1 Like

I had a science teacher who would only refer to it as King Georgeā€™s Planet.

1 Like

Apparently enough so to warrant a 1997 sequel, which somehow managed to be even worse. I had to watch both of those godawful things on video when my studio was trying to land a contract to promote one of the ā€œMortal Kombatā€ games back in 2000 or so.

I wonder, whatā€™s the least-awful movie based on a video game to date?

It sure as shit ainā€™t Wing Commander.

But take your pick.

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t tell you, I avoided pretty much all of those on instinct. I didnā€™t realize the PokĆ©mon franchise apparently started as a video game, though.

Also: Theyā€™re making movies based on Ratchet and Clank and Shadow of the Colossus?? Iā€™m not sure how to feel about that.

Maybe Resident Evil, with Laura Croft and Hitman as least-worst runners-up. Definitely not Prince of Persia, BloodRayne, or Doom.

Max Payne was fucking awful, too.

No love for Bob Hoskins as Mario?

2 Likes

The cool thing about the Shadow of the Colussus movie is itā€™s set to be a mini-series with no dialogue directed by Julie Taymor!

Sadly, I am totally making this up.

1 Like

Nothing directed by Uwe Boll

1 Like

Nothing but love for Hoskins in anything, but thatā€™s like asking why Raul Julia couldnā€™t pull Street Fighter up to his level. Super Mario was a disaster from the get go, Not even the combined might of Hoskins and Leguizamo together can make me sit through any of it again.

1 Like

Does Tron count?

This isnā€™t exactly setting a high bar however.

1 Like

That list is shorter than I thought it would be - possibly the impact of a SuperMario Bros. or the like on the psyche is so large that i think there must have been more.

Iā€™ll put another vote for Resident Evil as least bad

1 Like

Mortal Kombatā€™s probably pretty high on my list as it goes. Mind you, I think Dick Tracy is a good cartoon adaptation too.

1 Like

Tron was a video game based on a movie.

Riddick bucked the trend in the other direction, of awful games made from movies.

2 Likes

Oddly, Hudson Hawk was a decent enough game.

1 Like