Study: Qatar-hosted world cup to be dangerously hot for spectators

[Permalink]

I’m kind of more worried about the workers building the stadium than the potential spectators.

6 Likes

Not to worry, a debt-slave will be suspended above each spectator to provide inexpensive shade.

3 Likes

Study: FIFA laughing all the way to the bank; don’t give a shit.

4 Likes

To get a handle of the economy just remember that Qatar has a 5:1 (1.5M/300K) guest worker/slave to citizen ratio. Qatar is an example of what happens when a group of people get more money than they know what to do, and then they figure out what to do with it.
This is why IMHO, like all news, the Al Jazeera news network should be taken with as much salt as the western state or business backed news networks.
It doesn’t help that too much of the philanthropy ends up supporting very off the wall Suni extremism outside Qatar.
Not to mention the escaped guest worker(slave) laws and right to block worker exit from Qatar.

1 Like

Who cares, let the money roll. Perhaps they will have air-conditioned stadiums!

They made a mountain ski course in a mall, for crying out loud…they might be able to handle the problem of climate control in a stadium.

hanni5

I don’t understand why Qatar has (or seems to have) its foreign policy fingers in certain pies. I recall reading that the Islamists in the Malian rebellion were supported by Qatar, though that was in one news article and I haven’t since seen that assertion. Now, over the weekend, there was a battle at the airport in Tripoli; the anti-Islamists are supposedly helped by the UAE and Egypt while the Islamists are backed by Qatar.

If Qatar is doing this, I don’t get it. They don’t maintain that kind of fundamentalism at home so I can’t understand why they’d support it elsewhere. Maybe it has nothing to do with the philosophy and it’s a means to some other end – but what, and why?

I understand that Saudi Arabia exports it’s radicals and funds them to keep the jihad at arms length, probably the same thing with Qatar. Kicking the can down the road hoping to run the clock down until it is someone else’s problem IMHO.

From the linked Guardian article:

Visa, which insists that only its cards can be used at World Cup venues as part of its sponsorship deal, said it expected Fifa would “take the appropriate actions”

So, uh, corrupt organisation in bed with other corrupt organisation complains about corruption? What’s the problem, Visa - aren’t you getting enough of the action?

Did someone say Dangerously Hot Soccer??

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.