☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

Ah. A walrus simulacrum.

2 Likes

After which all other walrii pale in comparison.

1 Like

I have seen an obscure Alejandro Jodorowsky movie called “Tusk”. It was a sentimental film about a girl in occupied India and her friendship with an elephant.

From what little I know, this other Tusk movie somehow reminds of Pedro Almodovar’s “La piel que habito”, aka “The Skin I Live In”. Have any of you seen both, that you might compare them?

puts on pedant’s hat

Walrus isn’t latin, and even if it was, the “double i” seen in some latin plurals reflects the single i that was already in the stem–

filius son
filii sons

but

amicus friend
amici friends

1 Like

Fine.

#walrusim

4 Likes

I haven’t watched either, but “La piel que habito”/“The Skin I Live In” feels like it is way too close to reality for a lot of trans kids, especially those who come from religious/socially conservative backgrounds.

It’s on my “never watch” list, on the grounds that my friends will be putting me on suicide watch for quite a while if i do.

3 Likes

I wish you all get a bag of dicks in the post.

But we aren’t a militia involved in an occupation of a US federal building, are we?

2 Likes

I thought it was a particularly horrible film.

1 Like

& @the_borderer - I’ve seen too many of his other films to ever want to watch another… so many rapist/victim “romances” its really really terrifying.

2 Likes

Is this is better or worse than “cultural marxists”. Explain.

2 Likes

I have seen neither, so can’t say, but the one we’re talking about is Kevin Smith, who has had a rubber poop monster in one of his movies (his SERIOUS movie)… so probably not as… serious?.. as Jodorowsky or Almodovar, I’d wager. :wink:

1 Like

Cultural Marxists are more content to wallow in their victories than cultural Trotskyists.

2 Likes

What I find interesting about King’s comments is that he acknowledges that capitalism had worthwhile aims - to defeat monopolistic powers of the aristocracy. Though I know this history, I’m not used to thinking of capitalism as revolutionary. But when I do, it’s easy to see what happened. Most revolutions replace one group of oppressors with another.

10 Likes

But surely the Worker’s Revolution will be Different!

5 Likes

Bundymania!

“Mr. Bundy, I agree with you 100 percent, we have way too much government,” Ed Brown told the group. “But the same hand, get the hell out of my yard. Look what you did to this county.”

7 Likes
7 Likes

News from Flint gets sadder and sadder. How the fuck do we let petty partisanship stand in the way of basic civilization?

4 Likes

Type in the last bullet on the third “way”. It says, “Admit when you are wrong” when we all know that if you aren’t a communist, it ought to read, “Admit that you are wrong.”

3 Likes

I think even Marx acknowledge that the shift to capitalism was the most revolutionary event in history up to that point. It radically changed so much, up to that point. We just need to find something better.

3 Likes

Because some people feel that some people are more worthy of basic civilization than others (or, FYI, Flint is majority black, so you know…).

1 Like