☭ Sup Marxists? ☭

3 Likes

WTFF?
The stupid it burns…

9 Likes

How stupid are the law makers in NC?

Stupid enough to try to sue the US Government on grounds of “over-reaching.”

Of course, the Fed sued them right back for Civil Rights violations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-carolina-faces-monday-deadline-u-challenge-bathroom-051346752.html

2 Likes

Almost as bad as the pepper spray does.

1 Like

It goes a little beyond that. People talk about low diversity in STEM, but philosophy is the malest, whitest field of study of them all. It’s not just American and European only, it even ignores huge swaths of America and Europe. My experience of feminist theory has most been that it is philosophy, but that it had to break off and call itself something else because Philosophy shouts down all new voices.

I’d just go ahead and rename philosophy departments, “Department of finding increasingly clever ways to justify our lack of diversity.” I’m not sure they do much of anything else.

9 Likes

14 Likes

This more depressing when you considered the hell the factory workers been through.

4 Likes

Yep. When it comes to consumerism, you can’t win. It’s nice to be able to make choices that you feel are morally better, but then again, lots of people have no choice, given their economic status. And of course, plenty of higher end goods have been found to also be the product of exploitative labor practices.

There are no good answers, here.

7 Likes

Can we talk about american chicken for a second? Cuz when we road trip in the US (like I will this summer) I get so freaked out by the SIZE of your chickens. Like, seriously, your chicken breasts are almost the size of the whole chickens I buy. When I saw a tray of chicken thighs I literally didn’t recognize them as chicken thighs because they were TOO BIG. What the fuck is going on with your chickens?

8 Likes

Hormones + selective breeding over many generations = Chickens that basically couldn’t free range themselves even if the farmers all went away for vacation…

10 Likes

Naturally our Turkey aren’t big enough to feed the entire family, so they breed them to large proportion that they have to inseminate them manually for them to reproduce; same with all of our livestock. I think this explains why Organic Foods are BS since domestication of life pretty much breeds them to be more consumable.

Which is why I laugh when vegan say that meat in itself is the problem as opposed to how Industrialization devolve all factors to simple tools of profits. Sure we got too much Livestocks that produce way too much methane that contribute to climate change; so does leftover fruits and vegetables that been discarded since they’re either not good enough for distribution, or that those aren’t consumed in time before the so called “expiration date” came along.

7 Likes

YES!!!

This is the problem at the heart of it all. But then you get back "well, how would we feed all these people on the planet without mass produced farming/agri-business? Well, if more individuals farmed and fed the local communities, maybe that would help. Agri-business has put tons of small scale, local farmers out of business. Imagine if all those people were back farming and supplying their local communities, rather than so much of what we consume coming from across the country or the world?

11 Likes

I do get that, but why are they SO MUCH BIGGER than Canadian chickens? I mean, I buy obnoxious free range organic chickens that are even smaller than standard and twice the price, but the standard “tray of chicken pieces” is literally half the size of an American “tray of chicken pieces”. Thats whats freaking me out!

Canadian vs. American industrial agriculture practices should be much the same or else we’d never be able to trade with one another. So what is up with the size difference? I feel like I should go take pictures in the grocery store. LOL

@DocMelonhead - I bought a turkey from our Dean who raises them “for fun”. These are hand reared pet turkeys. He raises a dozen every year, has for years. And then slaughters them in the fall and sells them to his friends (or employees). So we got one last year, and all day as we cooked it we debated: “what tastes better, torture of love?” - LOL - the answer is: tastes the same, but torture makes the meat much more tender. :wink:

8 Likes

There are no good answers, here.

I overthink this too much as well. I fall back on “don’t put bad food in my mouth hole” and negotiate with my budget.

5 Likes

market pressure to produce as much breast meat as possible.

Do Canadian grocery stores not sell large (1500 g) trays of " boneless, skinless, chicken breast"

2 Likes

Because they’re manufactured that way. A capon that’s kept in a tight pen and fed an engineered diet constantly will eat and eat and eat until they are huge. But the meat is nowhere near as good as a free-range chicken that’s allowed to eat what it wants.

I picked up six new pullets at the feed store this morning (we need more eggs, and three of our existing layers are reaching the end of their laying lives, and so will be dinner soon, and need to be replaced.) I also got six capons the same age.

In three or four months the capons will be ready for harvest, and they usually dress out to about four or five pounds, which is still big for a chicken that’s treated in a humane manner. But a commercially-farmed chicken from Foster or Tyson will go six or seven pounds, sometimes more, and all of it is the nice soft bland meat that American consumers are so fond of.

How American commercial farmers are allowed to raise meat (all meat, not just chickens) is disgusting.

12 Likes

We do sell “family size” trays of meat, but… I would say that the number of pieces is higher in ours, because your pieces are nearly twice the size. Seriously, Imma take some photos of chicken thighs and breasts in the grocery store and post them! And someone do a tray from Tyson or whatever US brand you like. Seriously, your chicken literally scared me and I did not buy it!

@RatMan - I want to raise chickens so badly! Stupid city! They refuse to budge on the backyard coop thing! Let us have chickens!!

4 Likes

In the suburbs where I live, they allowed others to raise their own chickens; but I highly doubt they allowed farm animals in apartments though.

2 Likes

Now I really, really want to read this book review. A shame the LA review of Books is down.

and now it’s back up.

3 Likes