Taliban condemn Pakistan city's first McDonald's: "we don't even consider it as a food."

I often hesitate to reply with a link, because it seems lazy, but I am working, so please excuse. The Taliban is rotten to the core from my perspective, and Amnesty International, who I have great respect for, agrees. They are not incapable of rationality, but have little restraint when it comes to anyone they imagine as opposition. The opposite of coalition building, in my estimation.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2015/10/afghanistan-harrowing-accounts-emerge-of-the-talibans-reign-of-terror-in-kunduz/

1 Like

They probably Drink Brawndo. It’s got electrolytes. Also Mutilation, which they seem big on over there.

3 Likes

No worries! Nothing wrong with linking to evidence! :wink:

Note, I don’t disagree that they are not great for Pakistan or that they aren’t violent. I DO think they have a rationality that we can understand, though, and if we wish to do something about it, we need to actually understand how they operate, especially on drumming up support from local communities likely tired of decades of war. Understanding =/= agreement, respect, or acceptance. I’m not defending them by any means, I promise, just pointing out that they have some internal consistency.

6 Likes

If they had just looped back through the line and said something they might of gotten a free apple pie.

Now I want a yellow t-shirt with that logo.

Edited to say: Purchased! But had to go with green.

3 Likes

I would totally eat goat burgers given the chance. Maybe not Maccy Dee goatburgers, but roadside shack ones? Fuck, yeah.

1 Like

To a homebrewer, that phrase means something completely different. @japhroaig, amirite? :smiley:

5 Likes

American Fast Food is huge there though. Pizza Hut is the biggest restaurant chain, KFC is on every corners. Not only that, the high-streets in both the main urban centers are now full of local fast-food and gourmet burger joints.

McDonalds is just terrible.

McDonalds America, IIRC, does not have a direct stake in international franchises. Local Franchisees are majority stakeholders and get the majority of the revenues. Although, I read somewhere long ago that Corporations get Corporate Welfare for spreading their brand overseas. That was druing the Bush era, or even before, and I am too lazy to confirm that.

1 Like

To a San Diegan it sounds and often looks like another pretentious brew pub charging $8 for 16 ounces of beer.

2 Likes

Roadside burgers in Pakistan are lentil mash, spice and beef fried in egg batter. Surprisingly not a disgusting as it sound.

Goat(mutton) and Lamb are mostly find traditional stuff. Lamb is actually great in Pakhtoon cuisine. Nobody does Lamb better than the Pakhtoon, except sometimes the English.

3 Likes

Well, I have a particularly ill-advised alcoholigc ginger beer recipe that you could leave a bottle or two of under the seats if you want to do some monkey-wrenching and you’re not scared of the FBI. It’s basically a wet firework. Shame, really. The very small bit I drank was amazing.

2 Likes

That sounds delicious.

3 Likes

I remember restaurant menus in Kathmandu listing “buff burgers”… which many visitors assumed was a typo for “beef”… but no, it was water buffalo.

1 Like

I’m not surprised that people like American fast food.

I did not realize that about how the international franchises work. Probably explains how they can have such localized menus.

But I’m not at all surprised that they get points for spreading their business model over seas. I study this same phenomenon during the Cold War, albeit I look at music and how music is produced.

You should check out both Irresistible Empire and Jihad Vs. McWorld on this topic (I haven’t read the second, but it’s on my list in the very near future - it’s sort of past my time period):

2 Likes

Yes it does!

5 Likes

Who knew the Taliban were foodies?

I’m eagerly awaiting them posting shots of their meals on Instragram.

4 Likes

Probably because of the Hindu population, which considers Cows sacred. Buffalo meat is just to lean for burgers though.

1 Like

That picture makes me think of Ol’ Drippy, the sentient mold creature from ATHF

6 Likes

Damn, that’s getting into the explosion game early!

2 Likes

Yes indeed, it’s delicious in my Whiskey, and I did say “MY” Whiskey.

This one had root ginger, red chillis and whole black & Szechuan peppercorns in it, as well as some fast beer yeast I had lying around. Which, along with a liberal amount of sugar AND honey, with hindsight, is what caused the stuff to go FWOOOOSH out the bottle and cause there to be, temporarily, a puddle on the ceiling.

5 Likes