Teacher under review for putting "cone of shame" on misbehaving students

I can’t decide whether to be outraged or charmed.

5 Likes

When I was in grade school in Louisiana (and this was back in 1967) students were regularly spanked, with a paddle, in public school. However, the worst punishment I ever heard of was a student who had to hold his hand inside a fire-ant hill untill he got bitten repeatedly; an extremely painful ordeal.

So, over all, I would have to say that the cone of shame is a big improvement for public schools in the south.

3 Likes

Why?

I’m honestly curious what would cause someone to be so offended by a stupid shaming. If the teacher abuses a weird punishment it’s one thing, but it’s hard to come up with effective non-physically threatening punishments and it’s hard to see the harm in this one.

5 Likes

We all know the proper and accepted way to handle this this is with medication. Pop 'em full of pills until they are zombies. Seems like a rather silly innocuous way to take control of a class. Is it really that much different then a time out in the corner or making a kid stand in the hallway?

2 Likes

Further more reading the article it seems the students took it as a joke and for the most part didn’t mind. It was only when parents saw pictures that it became a huge deal.

3 Likes

I guess I’m a terrible person, but I think this is kind of genius.

2 Likes

Any “dunce cap” is basically giving someone a reward for misbehaving. As previously explained:

1 Like

So this is why every troll who ever complains about deleting of posts on twitter or forums as “censorship” before promptly finding somewhere else to be a jerk.

3 Likes

How is this different from standing the corner?

3 Likes

Charmraged.

1 Like

You can’t get a dog to stand in a corner.

Duct tape?

But did it work?

At my work we have had the captain cock up chicken hat and the spam hat of shame. Photographs are taken and the hat is yours until someone else screws up.

My mom taught public school in rural Alabama back in the 1970’s. One of her prized possessions was a paddle that was signed by many, many students. It was a point of pride to get a whoopin’ by my mom and sign her paddle .Good teachers know how to give out punishment in a way that does give the misbehaving kid what he or she really craves, a little attention. I’m not sad to see paddling go away - I saw it done back when I was in middle school in yet another rural Alabama town - but I think if you look at punishments you’ll see they can be done with a sense of humor. Would I use a cone of shame? No. But it seems like it it worked for this kid and this teacher.

This is, I think, one of those things I’d have no problem with from a parent, but am conflicted about when applied in an institutional setting.

Same way that I still think it’s hilarious that a good friend of mine took to squirting her 4-year-old with a squirt gun as punishment for mistreating their cat. (Her: “Why did Mommy squirt you with the kitty gun?” Child, while sobbing: “Because I was mean to the kitty.”)

But I’m not sure I’d be as down with that punishment if it was being doled out at preschool.

1 Like

I’m just amazed that the cat didn’t mete out its own punishment.

Brilliant idea!

I wonder if some people heard the words “dog collar” and got outraged for the wrong reason.

I find it pretty funny, personally. Also not corporal punishment, also a pretty clear object lesson for others in the class, and still funny, even if it happened to you! But I’m not up on all of the rights of kids to be inattentive jerks in class nowadays, or whatever it is they do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.