Technical pants for business-casual wear

Flannel-lined jeans from LL Bean or Cabelas are a lifesaver in the winter. I get them used on eBay for $20ish (new they’re much pricier, around $80).

Cotton is terrible for keeping you warm when you want it to and horrible at cooling you down when it’s warm. Newer poly blends are much, much better than cotton for that sort of thing.

Why else do you think modern technical sportswear isn’t made out of cotton?

1 Like

They also used to be inexpensive while we’re at it.

1 Like

Outlier’s are the real deal. They were originally made for commuting cyclists who tear through a pair of jeans within weeks-months of use. All 3 my Outlier’s have been through nearly 5000 miles of riding over 3 years, and not a single one of them have a tear or have had the fabric lose composure, just toss them in the washer and dryer and they’re like new! The lifetime warranty is pretty sweet too.

Only caveat? They’re a lot more expensive than they used to be. I bought my 3 pairs 3 years ago when they were $75 cheaper.

enter link description here

Checking some of the prices on their site, make that $100-125 cheaper years ago.

You should check it and see.

1 Like

Maybe later. At the moment I’ve got a really high fever. 103.

2 Likes

i used to ride a bike everyday to and from my minimum wage job wearing the same $20 pair of dickies for 3 years, never had a problem that $200 pants would have solved

3 Likes

$200 Technical pants. What. The. Hell.

I prefer the black Carhartt cargo pants. They have pockets on top of pockets on top of pockets. They look good. They are the first brand of jeans that I don’t wear out in a year. They have pockets for pens, phones and everything else. They cost about $50 or so.

Swrve in Los Angeles make some nice men’s riding pants from Schoeller fabrics. They also make some Cordura blend Jeans that are Very tough and comfortable. They’re about as tough as very heavy work jeans while being about as thin and stretchy as women’s fashion jeans. They’re about 40-50% cheaper than outlier.

This must mean that the men’s pants have even deeper pockets than usual. OTHERWISE IT’S NOT EQUAL. [/“masculist” foolishness]

1 Like

Or soggy Wheaties, for that matter.

Tactical pants.

2 Likes

That link should be swrve.us

Obviously some people don’t need a technical pant, but for a power user like me a good pair of technical trousers is essential to my workflow. I need complete freedom of movement when I blast on my fixie through the drones at ground level and parkour the rooftops above, when I’m capoeira fighting with fascists or crouched over planting my kale in the guerilla garden. Climate control? I transition from the skate park, to the air-conditioned cube farm meetings with the suits trying to milk my genius for cash, to the dank, humid tunnels beneath the city where I maintain my servers. Then it might be off to the Burning Man playa in my meticulously restored Airstream. Change of clothes? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
Along the way I’m Instagramming and documenting government oppression: anything less than instant access to my 'Droid and Moleskine would be an Epic Fail. At my Makerspace when I’m hot-swapping Arduinos while simultaneously 3D printing components and live-tweeting Doctor Who I need to know blindly which pocket holds my No. 2 Phillips, which has my de-polarised needlenose pliers, and where my roll-ups are. That is what technical pants are all about. Two hundred dollars might sound like a lot to the casual user, but I couldn’t put a price on the productivity I’d lose if I had to wear a non-technical trouser.

10 Likes

Yes, thank you.

Fixed.

I find it kind of weird to compare a $200 pair of pants to an inexpensive pair of jeans. Higher quality clothing functions better and will last longer. Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, and Rail Riders all are good brands that have some women’s options - most less than $200. Title Nine clothes are very good too and all for girls - love their bra line Bounce!

Lulz.

Yes, totally not necessary. But for those who are out in the elements, it’s nice to have durable, comfortable clothes made of something other than cotton. Or death cloth as the Search & Rescue types call it.