Texas school bans sunscreen because a child might drink it

Yep. Safe from frivolous lawsuits that could be brought by idiot parents on behalf of their idiot offspring. Won’t someone think of the school budget?

Hey, I have this crazy wild idea. How about EDUCATING these kids not to poison themselves, rather than make their lives fool-proof, such, that they don’t have to think for themselves anymore?

3 Likes

That particular case isn’t really a knowledge problem: the belief that suitably formulated hand sanitizers will give you a 140 proof hit of good old ethanol, while being cheap, readily available even in controlled environments, and sufficiently weakly denatured that they probably won’t kill you too much faster than a garden-variety drinking problem is true.

There’s just a difference of opinion between teachers and corrections officers on the one side, and students and inmates on the other, as to exactly how awesome it would be to take advantage of this.

Education is only minimally effective if somebody’s behavior is based on a correct understanding of the facts, coupled with some other flavor of arguable stupidity, rather than a lousy understanding of the facts coupled with the desire to act reasonably.

2 Likes

This is ‘Cover our arses from lawyers’ crazy though.

3 Likes

We’re in the lead for sheer craziness, but Texas tops us for senseless cruelty.

4 Likes

Obviously the only sane solution is to set the children on fire while they’re still in the womb.

For Jesus.

And great strength.

2 Likes

Yes, save (from poisoning) all those dumb kids that drank their lotion instead of using it properly and let everyone burn evenly!
Note to school: you think that something that you rub to your skin could be poisonous and got permission to be sold?

Why didn’t the parent have applied sunscreen at home?

1 Like

Ok. Fair enough. If common sense is in question with nowaday school kids (whom you mention in one breath with prison inmates, which is typical), don’t ban hand sanitizers. Just label them: “Upon excess use of hand sanitizer, we will send your parents a compensatory bill.” I the land where road and traffic authorities get sued by people who bump their heads into lamp posts, money talks.

Eh, maybe let the dumb kids extinct? Quality instead of quantity? This happens everywhere (I am from Poland), we produce kids and “protect” them against everything instead of educating to protect themselves.
I remember my friend said that they “educated” his kid at school (primary, 7-8 year old) that “car is supposed to stop when he is near road crossing” and “have to stop when pederastian is on a road”. He said that kids have merged that to “car has to stop when you are crossing”… now his dumb kid is entering road, looking drivers dead in the eye, without stopping to look around. When my friend, scared, tried to talk to the kid his reponse was that “the car has to stop, that is the law”… does not matter that over 1000kg vehicle will not stop just like that - not an argument, law says it has to.

At first, I thought this movie was a comedy. Instead, it is a prophetic document already turning into reality, and even sooner than I thought. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Both categories are under considerable state supervision and have limited access to desirable drugs. When it comes to attitudes toward dubious booze, those are pretty important variables.

How closely they overlap in other respects depends largely on the quality of the school.

2 Likes

Maybe this is like an extension of global warming denial: There is no hole in the ozone layer, the sun is actually cooling, sunscreen is a global communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

5 Likes

Because over the course of ten warm hours outdoors, sunscreen needs refreshing. It absolutely does not last that long at anything like specified protection.

7 Likes

Could be worse. Every now and then some school with a “zero tolerance” policy requires kids with EpiPens to give them to the school nurse so that they can be kept locked up.

This usually doesn’t last, since an avalanche of doctors and EMS authorities tends to be a bit disconcerting. Possibly in conjunction with threats from the State Board of Nursing to the licenses of nurses who actually lock up the pens.

5 Likes

Yes, he drank sunscreen as a youth, but he never was from Texas. He was from Connecticut. Y’all can have him though, plenty of brush still to clear.

1 Like

Majority opinions are facts, and the majority is whomever knows where and when the meeting is.

1 Like

Haven’t you heard? The gub’mint secretly puts vaccines in the sunblock so all the kids will catch The Autism.

8 Likes

This would probably be a good time to quote “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)”, the pop-song version of an essay that’s often misattributed as a Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. commencement speech.

3 Likes

As an foreigner, it’s really hard to not think of the US as some crazy fairytale dystopia after reading stories like this one. Maybe BB should start a “global stupidity” news section to prove the US aren’t the only crazy place on earth?

3 Likes