The best business card in the world

The most influential person in China wouldn’t need to self-identify as such, and furthermore, wouldn’t need a business card.

2 Likes

I think they just use the word ‘most’ differently than we do. It’s more of just an intensifier. I hope this helps. You are most welcome.

4 Likes

My business card says World’s Most Dangerous Woman. Mind you, it is the title of my fourth book, but then I thought why should the fictional character have all the fun?

3 Likes

To end the debate, Cory Doctorow has been described, by Charlie Stross at least, as a public intellectual.

Cory is ditto on the NYTimes list; and he has a parallel career as a public intellectual and speaker.

Cory isn’t just a science fiction writer. He’s also a public intellectual (yes, that’s a real gig) whose central issue is the large-scale corporate abuse of copyright laws to effect a sort of intellectual property land-grab.

When I lived in Budapest, I had a card that described me as an “Élet művész”, or “life artist.” I thought the phrase was funny; the idiomatic meaning was more akin to “con artist” – something I hope I was not, but at 22-25 I may have only been fooling myself.

whups. Meant to reply to this specifically.

Not really. Note the card is in English, not Mandarin. Can you honestly off the top of your head name the most influential cultural figure currently in china? And I mean influential to Chinese folks, not foreigners.

I have a feeling this guy has the sum of 357965421.43USD that he needs to get out of the country. He wants my help but if I tell the authorities, the government gets the money…

2 Likes

i don’t usually participate in memeing but the urge was strong with this one, so: much win

1 Like

I’d settle for being a lowly Partial Zero Emission.

Not that I think it matters very much, but, there is a dustup going on this very day over an article on Politico titled “What it means to be a public intellectual”. Mainly just posted this because I thought it was a funny coincidence. Possibly the Politico article is what prompted funruly to mention the term here…

I have a hard time believing that he is a “China Low Carbon Emission” when he is blowing this much hot air and smoke up our arses on even his business cards.

3 Likes

A resume on a business card. Hehe.

1 Like

Honestly, no, but if it ever came up – that is, things got to the point where any other person might hand me a business card – I don’t expect this information would be actually conveyed via business card. Like wasta: those who have it don’t need to mention it, and those who mention it probably don’t have it (or much).

Business cards in Asia are often less about business and more about actual networking, hence the card gives some bio telling you why you should keep the card. Like here I’d give you a card if I was selling cars or something and thought you might want a car, but for him and others who use cards that way it’s more a matter of: “I don’t know if you’ll need a car but cards are cheap and I made mine really interesting so you’ll remember that most honorable guy who sells cars.”

1 Like

There was a moment in the mid-late 90’s where CD business cards were pretty popular with people I knew in my line of work at the time. Basically just a mini-CDR with two sides planed flat so it was about the 2d size of a business card. About 120mb storage IIRC. Thos plus label maker = resume on business cards.

1 Like

I remember those. IIRC, weren’t they bad for drives?

You may be right but in the mid 90’s I was upgrading tech so much nothing ever wore out. I made a hundred or so of the things and never had a problem with my drives, but I’d want to turn out at least three times that before speculating.

[quote]
All other readings will be via Blackboard[/quote]

(shudders)

1 Like

Whoever it is, I’d hope they’d at least have a decent English translator on their staff, and someone who could work a DTP program…

If you have a picture of yourself like this, it’s a travesty not to use it:

(Yes, those are fat stacks)

While I admire his philanthropy, the guy does seem like a self-aggrandising douche. He did show up with aid and approx $150,000 relief funds after the Japanese earthquake but he also paid for this 2-page ad to run in the NYT in 2012: