The best pen

…And why learn to walk when you could just use a Segway? :wink:

Almost with you, the G-2 Medium Point (07) in blue is my all-time favorite, the only one I’ve used for years.

When an SMS won’t do, clear and clean handwriting leaves a positive impression on others, or conversely, sloppy and unclear handwriting… you get the point.

I don’t churn butter every day, but I sure have a desk full of handwritten notes. Typing is not a suitable way to work out some ideas.

We have to use ink in our engineering notebooks. It’s a legal/patent thing. So no pencils, much as I prefer a good thin mechanical pencil.

Oh man. OH. Man. I couldn’t agree more–that’s my favorite part of using the Pilot Precise.

I live and die by the Vision Elite. Anytime someone borrows a pen from me, they are like, “this is the best pen ever!”. Yup.

Came here to say this. V5 all the way. I don’t even use it as often anymore since I take notes on my phone now and don’t carry a folder piece of paper in my pocket anymore, but I can’t leave home without it and I’ll twirl it between my fingers or pop the cap off and on whenever I’m thinking about something or talking to boring people.

I prefer pencils, but nothing survives being constantly in my immediate vicinity unless it’s ungodly sturdy, and pencils just aren’t. So I can’t really carry them around for very long.

But I picked up a Pilot G2 mini somewhere and stuck it in my side pants pocket (because I assumed it would break and ink would go everywhere and the pants were already dark blue, unlike my shirt) and it’s been riding around with me for nearly two weeks now - and it still works. Not only that it works well.

It has started to look pretty sandblasted, though. And some kind of grit or sawdust has infiltrated the barrel.

Edit: Heh. I can edit after the page is closed! @wearysky, it pleases me to be a source for your imaginative entertainment!

Pilot P-700. Used to use the G2 and Precise V7, but the P-700 is better.

Different pens for different drawings - however, my vote for best overall goes to the Pilot G-Tech C4. Nice consistent lines and and thin thin thin at 0.4mm.

This is one of those “vinyl records sound warmer than CDs” things, isn’t it?

Meanwhile, the super secret fountain pen club meets over here. The Pilot Metropolitan is an excellent and affordable everyday pen.

2 Likes

As mentioned elsewhere, I have the above Embassy Pen, and very nice it is too. Don’t see what’s ‘tactical’ about it, but whatever. I also have the Pen Type-A (http://shop.cwandt.com/), which uses Pilot Hi-Tec C refills.

I can advise against buying the Turtle Pen, though. Have one of those, badly made junk, really. Very disappointed by it. http://turtlepens.com/

I think tactical is marketing-speak for black now. Unless it’s designed to hold up to the abuse of stabbing someone and continue writing.

1 Like

The best pen (among those I can reliably find) is, without a doubt, the Vision Fine. Every pen thief I know would attest to it if they were willing to fess up that they stole my pen. Slightly more ethical acquaintances have bought their own … and then gone on to buy them in every available color for reasons I can’t quite grasp. Black is fine.

I also adore the Vision Micro (which was the previous favorite among pen thieves) but it has become increasingly hard to find them in stores. I spent $20 on them last weekend because I accidentally stumbled on some in a place I’d checked dozens of times before.

I used to write dozens of tiny-handwriting pages a week with these things and no other pen would do.

But I won’t mind one bit if they don’t increase in popularity. It can be hard enough keeping my own stock available with all these fiends about. :wink:

I’m an RN & I write ALL the time. For a pen only mildly annoying to lose or have taken by a patient or doctor, that writes extremely well, with a fine point, and that doesn’t smear (even on a glossy lab label) I absolutely LOVE the Uni-Ball Jetstream. I’ve been using them exclusively for years. Because I write very small, the click-point is too loose a tip for my liking, so I always have to search and pay more to find the increasingly scarce capped-top versions of the pen that are out there.

I have a stainless steel Parker Jotter and while it looks and feels cool (and is made in the UK) and writes beautifully well for a ball-point, it sometimes (usually) makes a rattling noise when shaken (including often while you’re writing).

I bought it on a whim back in college when it caught my eye in a store and I decided on the spot that I should have a decent pen (I took most notes just fine with a nice mechanical pencil but thought maybe the speed of a pen would be better).

Disappointed in the noisiness, I relegated it primarily to signing duty at the time. Still have it, but I also have dozens of other pens (that I rarely use now, though I keep obtaining new ones) so it mainly just sits there looking pretty.

I suppose it’d be easy to silence it…

I’ll take my Pilot Frixion Ball eraseable pens any day over any other pen. Unfortunately you can only get them in Japan, but they write well and erase perfectly.

1 Like