The best thing you will read about the revelation that Captain America was a Nazi spy

The “reboot mania” is actually a recent trend, driven mostly by movies. Smart marketeers observed, around the time the original Batman movies were released, that mainstream readers the movie had captured struggled with catching up on continuity backstories, and basically didn’t hang around after a few months. So what happens now is that, when a “comic movie” comes out, continuity will be “flattened” to make it easier to onboard casual readers, at least for a few months.

Before this strategy was perfected, fundamental reboots of title characters were few and far between, at least in Marvel land. Yes, they would die and be reborn / redesigned / tweaked (e.g. Marvel has tried for decades to get rid of SpiderMan’s blue-red-webbed costume, because it’s expensive to paint on toys etc etc), but usually not with something as fundamental as completely negating the past, which is what happens more and more carelessly these days.

1 Like

Oooh shiny! I love reimagining of classic stories! (seriously. no irony or sarcasm)

I don’t read comics (not for lack of interest, but for lack of time), but I’ve seen the movies. Doesn’t Captain America do more damage to Hydra over a longer period of time than almost any one else in the Marvel universe?

In the immortal pastiche of Comic Book Guy: Worst. Double agent. Ever.

Right? It doesn’t even make sense. Unless it’s all about Hydra factions fighting each other. Maybe the Nazi Hydras were pretenders to the throne and the millennia-old Hydra made Rogers to fight them. But at that point Hydra is pretty much behind everyone. They’re basically the fucking Illuminati. [Yeah, yeah, I know there’s a cabal of superhumans that call themselves the Illuminati in the Marvel universe. But you know what I mean.]

ETA: It also occurs to me that just maybe the motive isn’t shock value to boost readership. Cap is supposed to be a anthropomorphized metaphor for America, yes? Maybe someone at Marvel basically decided that America has become the new face of facism and he or she wanted to rub our faces in it.

Are decisions like this made by one editor or do multiple people have veto power on major shifts like this?

Yup, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Cap isn’t a Hydra agent, Marvel’s Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso is a Hydra agent out to defame Cap.

5 Likes

I know some people didn’t like it, but I still kind of miss the spikey version of Ben Grimm:

This included the Sharon Ventura / Ms. Marvel “She-Thing” variation, but luckily she was usually called Ms. Marvel or Sharon, although I can see how the hero title could be a bit confusing over time.

2 Likes

The problem is that this plot twist is obvious bullshit. Perhaps the writers can play this off as mind-fuck city, but it honestly sounds like a Frank Miller-on-a-cocaine bender thing. It doesn’t make business sense, or human sense, or whatever, but things can get screwed up when worthless libertarians get their mitts on the steering wheel.

So long as Chris Evans still has a contract, we’ll see the experiment play out: All American Boy played straight or played for a fool. I guess it depends on what happens with the election.

2 Likes

Jesus, that is one bad drawing. I’d guess Liefeld except he always proudly signed his shitty work. And there are no pouches.

I want my heroes to able to:

1. Stop a bank robbery
  2. Stop a mugging
  3. Save a human
  4. Stop bemoaning their self-important lives.
2 Likes

And shoulder pads, unnecessary headgear, and so much flexing.

2 Likes

Technically that already happened a few years ago due to Flashpoint (Barry Allen traveled back in time to save his mom thus changing the time stream. Thomas and Martha didn’t die but witnessed their son being murdered. Spoiler:

Thomas became Batman and Martha ended up as the Joker)

6 Likes

DC and Marvel are different cases.

DC is much older, being pretty much the sole survivor of the Golden Age of comics. As other comics companies from that era – such as Charlton Comics, Fawcett Comics, and Quality Comics – eventually went under, DC bought a lot of their properties. Marvel, or Atlas as it was known then was selling comics, and a few characters trace their origins back to that period, but Captain America is pretty much the only character widely remembered.

In the Golden Age of comics, comics were 100% avowedly for kids. You had major reader turn over, with readers in a very narrow window of childhood. There was no such thing as universe or character continuity, because most readers would not remember what happened a year or two earlier. A lot of stories got told multiple times (new art, new writing, but same premise). Marvel largely ignored their golden age characters and recycled concepts – the Destroyer, the Vision, the Human Torch – later with no reference to the earlier characters.

The Silver Age was for the Baby Boomer generation, and a lot of the tone was driven by Marvel, which was the first to really push the notion of a single living, breathing universe with all of their characters. (So much so that it can be easy to forget some titles like the Eternals had deliberate “outs” so they could claim it was an un-connected universe if fans didn’t care for it.)

DC jumped on this bandwagon, and eventually settled on the notion of two parallel universes. All the goofy golden age stuff was on Earth Two. Earth One is where the stuff is happening now. So that was less an explicit reboot than “let’s just forget about all this stuff back here.” Over the years, DC has had a few reboots, but they’ve been accelerating. Ages ago you had Crisis on Two Earths; more recently you had Crisis on Infinite Earths/the new 52.

But DC also had a lot more TV/movie presence, and a lot of those introduced original ideas that made their way back to the comics (such as the character of Joker’s moll, Harley Quinn). All of them had very different markets, writers, and times. Some versions of Superman and Batman are campy. Some are dark.

DC has also had a very strong “Elseworlds” trend-cum-imprint since the late 80s or so. They were very liberal with printing limited, standalone stories about Batman vs. Predator, and Superman vs. Godzilla, and cowboy Batman, and Soviet Superman, and so on.

Batman, Superman, Flash… these are all just general concepts on which you can hang certain flavors and variations. Fans accept it, and don’t worry too much about the details. Some jokingly refer to DC as “Disregard Continuity”

5 Likes

Now Marvel, Marvel is different. Marvel deliberately resisted reboots for a long time, because the single universe was their schtick, they didn’t have a lot of success in other mediums to dilute the characters, and they weren’t beholden to older characters.

(small correction: I just remembered Marvel was called “Timely Comics” during the war years, then changed it’s name to Atlas.)

After the war “Captain America, Commie Smasher” made a go of it, but eventually yhe Timely-age superhero characters were largely forgotten. Now as Atlas comics, they mostly focused on romance comics. The silver age of comics kicked off in earnest when Marvel released the first issue of Fantastic Four. That book even recycled the character concept of the Human Torch – the original being a Nazi-fighting robot on fire, while the new one is just some guy who can catch fire – totally without any reference to the original character. The wartime characters started to slowly roll back in starting with Cap in Avengers #4 (frozen in ice during WWII, completely ignoring the Commie Smasher era).

But as Marvel rolled on, it kept continuity (or retro-actively established a continuity, a “retcon”). They explained the Commie Smasher years (that was some other guy… he’s crazy now), the made a game of letting readers “explain” little art or story inconsistencies in the letter pages (“Good job! You win an official No-Prize!”). They gave histories to characters that disappeared and came back years later. As I said, it was their schtick.

But that wears on. When DC just said “let’s forget the past on Earth Two” (with an option to keep doing that in the future), Marvel was left explaining as necessary how Cap was still alive (frozen in ice) or Nick Fury still an active spy (stolen Nazi anti-aging serum). Marvel still invented other universes for different reasons… time travel stories, visits to the [strike]Justice League[/strike] Squadron Supreme, etc… but they always insisted most comics took place in the same, major universe. Eventually they said that time itself was stretching.

I could write a slightly outdated thesis about time stretching, the multiverse, cosmic abstract entities, and the Marvel universe, but suffice it to say that they – in their goofy, comic-booky way – took great pains to give a pretense of consistency without reboots.

And eventually, that too breaks down. Because readers got every bit as worn out as you probably got reading this. So Spider-Man passes his mantle to a clone (didn’t last, story is longer now), and Cap passes his to U.S.Agent (didn’t last, character roster is longer now), and so on.

Eventually, even Marvel had to admit that its readership was limited by the sheer weight of ridiculous “maybe it will matter later, maybe it won’t” history its characters had. So it rebooted five flagship titles, basically the Fantastic Four + Avengers. It bombed, they went back.

They later created a comics line specifically as a place for new readers to jump on (Ultimate Spider-Man, the Ultimates, etc.), that was in a separate, unrelated universe. That did well. New readers on some comics, older readers happy in ridiculous-history verse…

And then the movies come along. Which is a much bigger, better business. But those end up syncing up with the much more streamlined and accessible Ultimate line than anything else. At this point, the comics are an atavistic business. The characters and old stories have value – on merchandise, as nostalgia, as source material for the movies – but not the new stories. So Marvel finally hit a big ol’ reset button. Will it last? Probably not.

5 Likes

So DC had one line of thought: let’s forget about it… okay, different universes… look, do you even really care?

And Marvel had another: Yes, there’s continuity. Through superscience. And magic. And alternate realities. Or sometimes partially-overwritten timelines. And a sliding timescale where “Cap punched the President” could mean Eisenhower, Nixon, or Clinton as necessary. But only as needed on a case-by-cases basis. So, do you want to start read… hey, where are you going? Fine, so long as you see the movie.

The question is, “isn’t that expected”? And the answer is “not really”. The stories most people like, the ones that are now being made into movies, really didn’t depend on any of that.

When Claremont took the X-Men and said, “they’re a lot more interesting if there’s some fear and racism toward these characters” it propelled the story forward and opened up possibilities without retcons. It saw what was there, added to it, and in such a way that none of the existing characters were damaged. I would argue the same could have been true (but largely wasn’t) with Spider-Man’s marriage. Similarly with Cap and the Secret Empire storyline. Civil War was nonsensical, but it at least had a fresh basis in today’s world that took things in a new direction without fundamentally disrespecting the characters, or the fans who’ve invested themselves in their stories.

Not everything has to be grandiose, epic arcs here either. Some of Thor’s best stories are when he was temporarily turned into a frog, or even just trying to explain to new age-ers, “well, I am a god, but I don’t actually expect worship anymore…”

And even horribly planned and executed story lines like the Spider-Man clone saga didn’t need to be magic-ed away. They could take a back seat as a thing that happened but can now mostly be forgotten about, without needing a magic reset button.

6 Likes

I sort of feel like you should take those three extended comments and write it up in a new topic… I like this “slightly outdated thesis” you have going here. It could probably generate some good conversation on the topic of the history of comics…

1 Like

10 Likes

I sometimes click the like button even when I know I’m already out of likes.

2 Likes

Haha. Fair enough!

1 Like

##OMG, SOULLESS CORPORATIONS OWN OUR MYTHS!!! WE MUST RECLAIM THEM WITH SHITTY AUTHORIZED STORIES AND EVEN SHITTIER FANFIC!!!

George Lucas loved the world of Flash Gordon created by Alex Raymond. Growing up he wanted to make the ultimate Flash Gordon movie. After getting a couple of films under his belt as an adult he sought permission from King Features (or whoever the current rightsholder was) to make a feature-length Flash Gordon movie, but he couldn’t get it.

Lucas decided to move ahead with his dreams even if it meant using different characters in a different fictional universe. The end product still managed to kick ass - and he got to control all of the licensing.

2 Likes

I’m just going to leave this exceptional podcast right here…

1 Like

I’m really interested in how fandom has clashed with corporations regarding what directions popular culture has moved. It really gets to an interesting place about who “owns” culture and what it means to do so.

And now, of course, people see Lucas as the big bad guy regarding cultural ownership… or I guess Disney now.

2 Likes

Dunno… so far the perception seems to be that, unlike Lucas, Disney hasn’t screwed it up yet.

1 Like