The book of Genesis

[Permalink]

These images clearly display what Nintendonā€™t.

1 Like

I gasped a little. Is that a Neptune?

Pfft.

Thatā€™s not an Amiga. Hell, itā€™s not even an Atari ST.

1 Like

I was too old to be part of the great debate. Instead I was the weird kid with an Intellivisionā€“the gaming system advertised by George Plimpton. They were aiming at gamers who read The Paris Review.

2 Likes

Does Megadrive sound just as weird to youse as Genesis does to me?

Also, I believe I would have killed for a Wondermega back in the day, only the Neo-Geo trumped it in my mind.

Oh, and; SNES for graphics, Megadrive for everything else.

I recall spending the night at a friendā€™s house, and he and his brother telling me in hushed and reverent tones that theyā€™d gotten a Neo-Geo. Being the game luddite that I am, I immediately dismissed that stuff and suggested we crank up the nintendo for some Mario time. Was Toejam & Earl played on the Neo? So long ago, so many brain cells beaten into submission.

2 Likes

Damn son! I think I remember you mentioning Toejam and Earl from before.

I gotta go and try out that game. (Genesis)

LOL, my comment makes no sense. PiƱata!

2 Likes

Ā£35 is a whole lot of real moneys for this book, what does that get me that the web does not?

Havenā€™t you gotten the news? 1980s nostalgia is passĆ© as we Gen-Xers are now part of the ā€œoldsā€. Itā€™s all about the 1990s these days even though it all seems too recent to be nostalgic about. But in terms of George Plimpton and the Intellivision, I think the connection was that the Intellivision had a lot of sports games, and Plimpton was an athlete and sports writer besides being a literary intellectual

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m unconsciously noastalgic for things of my youth? I worry about playing it now and being utterly disappointed in the critical thinking skills of my youthā€¦
But yes, by all means go and play, if anything to check that box of cultural detritus. Iā€™ll likely be doing it soon myself :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Outstanding! I recall the upper levels getting successively harder, and I damn well remember the beesā€¦the AI was not appreciated in that game, but damn it was good fun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.