The brief history of Facebook apologizing

[Permalink]

If Facebook is the sinner, who does it think is absolving it and making with the Hail Marys?

2 Likes

Uber-nerd Grace Hopper nailed it: Itā€™s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.

2 Likes

But note, theyā€™re only apologizing for ā€œthe way the paper described our researchā€ and the concern caused by that description - not for actually experimenting with human beings without consent. ā€œWeā€™re sorry youā€™re offendedā€.

3 Likes

And then thereā€™s the ā€œOh, Iā€™m sorry, did I break your concentration?ā€ kind of apology which legitimately expresses contrition, but at an expense the aggrieved would probably rather forego.

ā€œweā€™re sorry, the number you have called is no longer in serviceā€

ā€œWell, this is embarassing- Firefox is having troubleā€¦ā€

Every time I get this kind of message, I have to wonder whose soul is feeling the emotions mentioned. If such things mean anything at all, I suppose itā€™s really the user - me - that is sorry that Iā€™m forced to use a broken setup. Itā€™s not like these messages actually cost anything to emit. Which is exactly the difference between these and the sincere version.

I guess if businesses can be said to have religious beliefs, they can also be said to have feelings of regret as they cry their way to the bank. And boy howdy, am I sorry about that!

ā€œPlease, weā€™re really sorry, we promise we can change. Donā€™t leave us; itā€™d ruin us if you did, and think how much fun youā€™d be missing. We love you, really we doā€¦ā€

Thatā€™s the funny thing about abusive relationships; even if youā€™re well aware that youā€™re in one, and you know that no matter how many ā€˜second chancesā€™ you give them they will continue to abuse your trust, and you truly believe that you deserve better, itā€™s still difficult to break away from them.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but the number I have just smoked is no longer in serviceā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.