The "butter is good" study has some serious flaws

That Jews shouldn’t eat it with flesh.

But it does mean that you should pause before declaring this particular paper the final word on what is and isn’t healthy to eat.

So… just like every other paper on food and health, then.

Sigh.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the same study I heard about on NPR, but after listening to all the “analysis” I have come to the unscientific conclusion that all one has to do is eat what ever the fark you want in moderation. So I will still eat that good old sweet creamy butter, plus I don’t like any of the “butter substitutes”

1 Like

While I’m not a doctor I probably can go out on limb and say, butter is fine provided you don’t eat an entire stick of butter like a banana.

3 Likes

Did you really need to use a pic that looks like Katie Curic’s Colonoscopy?

3 Likes

sigh when oh when will nutrition studies stop looking for good and bad foods we should and shouldn’t eat? It seems so silly. Most of my life I ate margarine because “somebody” said it was better than butter, so that’s what mom served and that’s what I ate. Now people are saying, well, butter it’s got it’s problems but margarine, there’s a killer.

These days I’m following the if it ain’t real food I won’t eat it diet. Which has not made me skinny but has made me significantly more sane.

6 Likes

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or… hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy… precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible.

(Source)

1 Like

Yeah, ok, whatever. I still trust cows more than I trust chemists.

1 Like

My mother used to do that as a child. She’d hide behind the sofa and eat it, so I am told

The hell you say.

3 Likes

Thank you.

This is all new to me so I still appreciate it, though these linkbaits are starting to occur all too frequently on BB.

I recently saw “Last Tango In Paris.” It was very silly.

2 Likes

You haven’t looked at what the chemists are doing to cows…

I’ll join you out on that limb and say spreading an entire banana on a slice of bread like butter is fine.

When I read the headline, my mind went to Zardoz. I think there might be something wrong with my brain.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the whole notion that we don’t need saturated fats fall flat on it’s face when you temporarily ignore the the somewhat falsified data (The Framingham study, and the Lipid Hypothesis study that CLEARLY show statistical manipulations), and just pose one question? That question is do we need saturated fats to do all kinds of important things in our bodies like repair cell walls, manufacture sex hormones, provide important fats for the brain to function correctly? I have come to understand that the answers to these questions is yes, based on the science of medicine and dietary nutrition, so the wheat industry and the vegetable oil industries can go pound sand (the industries who we now KNOW influenced these studies to prop up their and or increase their market shares 60+ years ago) and just accept the science as it is, and remove our selves form the fallacy ridden debates that have arisen by focusing on the manipulated data and ignoring the fundamentals of what our bodies do with saturated fats. But that actually might be asking a lot I think.

This was an issue for my older son. He’d steal it right from the table and scurry into his bedroom to eat it. Sometimes we wouldn’t notice for a couple minutes. Ditto sugar bowls and honey jars. And for awhile, boiled eggs (!)

1 Like

Man, I love boiled eggs. Dippy egg and soldiers is the greatest tribute a fellow can pay to the Noble Egg.

bacon, sex, chocolate, butter - these things are good, just try them, yep good, doesn’t take science or a study to tell you that, it is a fundamental property of their existence. :slight_smile:

(i know many of you will have tried them together…you know who you are)

In my case, where my basic cholesterol is normal, but my Triglyceride is high, it IS Still healthier than these tubs of "cholesterol-free spread, which are essentially tubs of triglyceride.

For a healthy person unsalted butter may not be HEALTHY, but it is still less bad than the alternatives.