The civilized response to Charlie Hebdo attacks: more surveillance

[Permalink]

Shouldn’t they be firing surveillance people, for their abject failure to intercept the “Charlie” assailants? They already have all this technology, and had no idea, no clue?

So now, they need to multiply the cluelessness??

8 Likes

Why I am not surprised.

The securocrats, who get their hardons from more control and more surveillance, are laying in reserve, holding the stalemate they are stuck in, and waiting for some event. Anything, whatever, wherever. Once that happen, they get things some more notches in their desired direction.

And said things rarely slip back into less surveillance and more privacy/freedom.

4 Likes

It’s only fascism if the perpetrator is brown.

2 Likes

The excuse is terrorism. The reason is control.

12 Likes

It’s the ol’ “Preserve freedom by taking away freedom” spew of effluence, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Control controls for the sake of control

5 Likes

The NSA obviously haven’t heard about climate change and the energy crisis or wasting tax payers money judging by the amount of lighting being used. I would think none of their neighbours have ever seen stars in the sky because of excessive light pollution.

2 Likes

You can’t let the enemy know you cracked their code.

Dr. Strangelove: Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn’t you tell the world, EH?
Ambassador de Sadesky: It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.

4 Likes

No one murdered because of this image:

5 Likes

While the loss of life should not be dismissed the most damaging thing terrorist acts have achieved is the erosion of our freedom in the name of freedom.

1 Like

I’m just glad they haven’t started the drone attacks here in the West. With no way to bomb our way out of the problem, our overlords are being confronted with the reality that we’re fighting a war of ideas.

1 Like

Facetious argument
the solution isn’t for them to conduct more surveillance on everybody, they need to keep surveilling the people they were already surveilling

1 Like

Yes. Otherwise the enemy know you cracked their code.

1 Like

They couldn’t, there are so many on the lists that they just could not dedicate any extra attention to any one on them. The two were on some American list but shared it with one and half millions of others. Good luck finding something in such totally self-inflicted amount of noise.

Apparently they just weren’t spying on us all hard enough :expressionless:

1 Like

1.2 million Americans on that list as of a few years ago. (From Citizenfour).

My take on modern America: If you’re not on a list, you’re doing it wrong.

3 Likes

Time to decentralize! If there’s surveillance, it’s going to be by and for everyone. Starting of course with “important jobs”, since those carry the most risk.

1 Like