The Devil and Antonin Scalia

Get thee behind me, Scalia!

7 Likes

Thatā€™s probably the last place you want him.

6 Likes

Underpants gnomes, obviously.

2 Likes

And his name is Keyser Sƶze.

5 Likes

Hahaha. Nice one.

I, like Scalia, am a little confused why everyone seems so surprised. Heā€™s a conservative Catholic. We knew this. Did you seriously expect him to not believe in Satan? The only thing potentially surprising is when he calls Satan a ā€œpersonā€, which on the surface might suggest that he thinks Satan is literally walking around the planet in human form. But in the language of traditional Christianity, thatā€™s not necessarily what ā€œpersonā€ means. Trinitarians refer to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as ā€œpersonsā€, even though at least one of those obviously isnā€™t and never has been in literal human form.

6 Likes

It is possible to believe in a literal devil and still be open-minded about what is and isnā€™t a sin, just as itā€™s possible to believe in a literal god (of a particular sect, even) and be open-minded.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case here.

Cue either Sweeny Todd or To Serve Mankindā€¦

2 Likes

For anyone who thinks that there is literally no difference between Democrats and Republicans: go ahead, find me the SCOTUS justice appointed by Clinton or Obama who is anywhere near that bugfuck crazy.

14 Likes

Iā€™m sure that to people of Scaliaā€™s bent, a militant atheist is just as crazy.

2 Likes

If there is no Devil, how do you explain Scalia sitting on SCOTUS?

5 Likes

Or youā€™re a Christian, and donā€™t think torturing anyone to death can bring salvation, and think that the resurrection overturned the torturing-to-death-ifixion, and think that the celebration of the crucifixion is a bit reminiscent of the myth of Cain sacrificing Abelā€¦ or The Wicker Manā€¦ But thereā€™s no reason to bring a devil into it, when the Roman Empire was quite capable of killing people.

1 Like

Even pitiless indifference emulates malice from time to timeā€¦

5 Likes

So, is Hot Stuff a little kid who was really bad and died and went to hell before he was toilet trained?

Yes, a bad thing, no doubt about that. Very bad.

Catholics can be a little wishy-washy, since it sounds so harsh; but the implications of original sin and human concupiscence are pretty clear for dead babies (at least the unbaptized ones)ā€¦ They really donā€™t like to talk about the considerable population of too-human-to-abort; but also obviously unbaptized, fetuses that spontaneously miscarry, who would be equally hellbound. And you thought Calvinists were kind of dark.

Iā€™m sure that to people of Scaliaā€™s bent, a militant atheist is just as crazy.

Iā€™m sorry, but the opposite of Scalia is not ā€œmilitant atheistā€ (whatever that could mean).

To people of Scaliaā€™s bent, reasonable, moderate people are crazy.

18 Likes

Sure, but CS Lewis was a hopped up writer of fiction. Surely itā€™s reasonable to hold one of the Supremes to a slightly higher standard?

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming ā€œmilitant atheistā€ refers to all those atheists running around engaging in sectarian violence and persecuting believers with the power of the state, right? Because thatā€™s what ā€œmilitantā€ means where I come from. Fortunately, Iā€™ve been lucky enough not to meet anyone like that, or, for that matter, even read any news articles about them. Funny. Of course, if you meant something else by ā€œmilitant atheist,ā€ please feel free to clarify what you meant.

18 Likes

I think people who assign powers to ā€œSatanā€ which are clearly not in the Bible and elevate him (her? Am I right guys?) to being almost equal to God really are creating a sort of primitive pantheistic/pagan throwback religion.

Maybe itā€™s no accident that the image of a mighty Satan corresponds to the era where Christianity was spreading across Europe. Often the saints were based on local dieties. and Jehovah was merely a replacement for Odin or whatever they called the head honcho. But that still left the job of the king of the underworld or evil trickster Loki wide open. So Satan had to get a promotion so he could make a lateral move onto the thrown of the local version of Hades/Pluto/Osiris

8 Likes

http://madmikesamerica.com/2011/12/the-militant-atheist/

3 Likes